Where does text format Plus: Pattern: Clear (White) come from?

I like to work with colored pages.  Sometimes when I paste web text into Word, there is some sort of fill around the text.

I realize that  I can clear the formatting but I want to understand what this is.

It is some sort of text level formatting but I can’t figure out how to control it.    I tried changing “Text Fill” to “No Fill.”

But this is the result.

So, what is the formatting and how can I control it (other than erasing all text formatting)?

Answer
Answer

It's shading applied to text.

If the "Plus: Pattern: Clear (White)" is the only text formatting in the selection, of course you can just click the Clear Character Formatting button in the Style Inspector or press Ctrl+spacebar.

If the shading isn't the only text formatting, then to remove it without affecting any other formatting:

• Select the affected text (or all text).
  • In the Paragraph group on the Home tab, click the down arrow on the Border button and click Borders and Shading at the bottom of the menu.
  • Click the Shading tab of the Borders and Shading dialog box.
  • Set the Apply To dropdown set to "Text".
  • Set the Fill dropdown to any color except white or "No Color", and then change it to "No Color". (If you don't do this little dance, the dialog won't do anything!)
  • Leave the Style dropdown set to "Clear".
  • Click OK.

74 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 22, 2024 Views 8,658 Applies to: