What's up with Word and/or OneDrive?

For a couple of years, I have had much difficulty trying to save edits to a very long inventory list in Word. The original is in OneDrive with a copy I keep trying to update on a Windows 11 PC.

Problem #1. It takes a long time to get into the Word Document and I get the message that I am not connected to the Internet. We all know that I'm connected.

Problem #2. No matter how I troubleshoot this error message, it keeps telling me that I am not connected.

Problem #3. The OneDrive Word document pops open and allows me to work on it. How does this happen after a long time trying to prove I am online? Anyway,

Problem #4. No way on earth will it allow me to update the OneDrive Word document with edits on the PC. The message is that it "couldn't save the latest changes" and to "try to open and then save the new document in a new tab." Grrrrrr. (I am using MS Edge.) So I click the "reload in new tab" button. Nothing loads.

Problem #5. I copy and paste the edited document into the new tab in the Edge browser which auto opens when I click on save to new tab in the Word document. Then when I try to save, the same window tells me to try and open/save in a new tab, repeat indefinitely. Egads.

I checked this community and saw a similar problem and tried the solution, changing the save setting in Word to "computer" instead of OneDrive. This is the limit of my tech ability right here. When I select a location in my PC to save this updated document, I choose the C drive, then Documents, then the name of the document. Boom, it tells me this name is incorrect. I give up.

I changed the Save setting in MS Word back to OneDrive since the computer option isn't working. Actually, neither is working. And I am losing my mind.

|

Hello SilverOceanLife, Thank you for reaching out to the Microsoft Community. My name is Gunasekar and I'm happy to help. Based on your description and going through the issue carefully, we can separate the issues in to three different categories: 1. Network. 2. OneDrive. 3. Word Save As. A. Network: a. Make sure you have stable internet connectivity and see if you can view your files and edit them on office.com online without issues. b. Run a Network troubleshooter: Use the Network troubleshooter - Select Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Status. Under Change your network settings, select Network troubleshooter. Restart your PC after the troubleshooting is completed and try opening the files on OneDrive desktop. c. Restart your Router. If these steps doesn't fix the issue, check the next suggestions below. 2. OneDrive: a. Try resetting OneDrive - Resetting Microsoft OneDrive can sometimes resolve sync issues and resets all OneDrive settings. OneDrive will perform a full sync after the reset. Follow the instructions (Command lines) displayed in the below article to reset OneDrive. https://support.microsoft.com/help/34701e00-bf7b-42db-b960-84905399050c b. Run a System scan - System File Checker is a utility in Windows that checks for problems with files on your computer. To run it, follow these steps: https://support.microsoft.com/help/365e0031-36b1-6031-f804-8fd86e0ef4ca 3. Word Save As. - Let's first understand how Saving works. When Auto Save is turned ON, https://filestore.community.support.microsoft.com/api/images/292f8e7f-8c24-4c94-8137-b975721e4473?upload=true&fud_access=Pe0MFddWEvLoE%2BbDfNVp0dWFS4j26KM9iWVWjrpvX9m2RNsGYZK7GnHPmZA8%2Fa5gizxdDWJ96LlU%2F3HMWvdtjmYBOwG1GSDqFrGUC5gokqb1E4Bz7llveEStdhgKsJmLZ0NiCIxjsspfREVuaj1Msi4vOLdJM6jW%2FkSZxivO8B87%2B1qi30%2FtKfCvJHM4lVprLEsQA8jXkQubAx9W1O7ek7Uk%2BGUA0fa2q%2FWd1uy2dXlwYtAWHeF5Pa%2B%2BMCC4xAjRIG4v1WTiKfSkvg2EOkhIGs1xQFW99pDu1s8MSKB6U0ca2lU0SPj%2FMbTTXYLfNzQBAlKsAnU6r5nBeNY2vd%2FNokQj7ah2Vb75RXiGuukl4il2HG%2BQsGCIKtefSIBHztMNky917wVfGReQtVsr%2B99226D1TyHhtArJ0whV0q2VUB4%3D you get so many options to recover the files incase of power failure, system failure or unexpected shutdowns. So, when you restart the Word program next time, Word automatically pops up and displays the recovery option to recover the files. * So, ensure AutoSave is turned on every time. - To save the files locally to your computer, just click CTRL + S to Save (or) Click File > Save As to select the desired location and save them. Note- If you choose C drive, you will need to enable permissions before save them. You could create a new folder on the C drive and save them. Give back to the Community. Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below. I hope this information helps. If you have any questions, please let me know and I will be happy to help you further. Best regards, Gunasekar N

AI: Artificial Intelligence or Automated Idiocy???

“You are serving a customer, not a life sentence.Learn how to enjoy your work”-LaurieMcIntosh

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 22 Applies to: