What is "OneNote Table Of Contents.onetoc2"?

In the last weeks I've been using in this computer only VS2010 with a little Excel, GIMP and Chrome.
Why all of a sudden many folder of my computer have a file called "OneNote Table Of Contents.onetoc2"?
I checked and, yes, I have OneNote installed here, but I never used it, I didn't even know I had it.
I searched around, and I only found articles talking about OneNotes configuration, but I never used it, so... did something that I did with Excel or Visual Studio told OneNotes to start creating those files?

Answer
Answer

OneNote do create these files, but only if it is running, only when running. Are those folders shared on a network?

This only happens if someone opened an existing folder as a notebook. OneNote will create this TOC file in each folder under which it was told, recursively.

If you start OneNote, you will have the notebook list on the left. Look at each path and one of them should point to a location that has these TOC files. Youc an right-click and close this notebook, then delete all of them.

This didn't just happen - somebody had to have tried to open a folder as a notebook. Now we do make this "too easy", and are working on design to make it harder to open an existing folder that is not a notebook as a notebook, to void the creation of all these files...

Hope this helps,

Benoit Barabe, OneNote Development Manager.
Benoit Barabe, Director of Development in Office.

30 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 18, 2024 Views 23,404 Applies to: