What happens to a folder with multiple co-owners when the original owner leaves the organization?

What happens to a folder with multiple co-owners* when the original owner leaves the organization? Ideally, it would be preserved for the other co-owners to access it without disruption. Is that the case?

I ask because even though co-owners are granted full control, they don't seem to be able remove or edit the original owner's access. They can remove and edit the access of other co-owners, but that original owner seems to be off limits.

*To be clear, I'm talking specifically about the full control "co-owner" role and not simply other users with editing permissions.

|

Dear respected Sam,

We went through your post carefully and we understand your scenario.

Here is one thing we'd like to first make it clear that no matter how many co-owners of a OneDrive file, the only thing matters is that the storage location of that file. It can only be saved in the original owner's OneDrive, which the URL of that file should look like

And once the storage location is deleted, the file will be gone. So after the original user left the tenant and his/her account will be deleted by the admin, and after 30days of Microsoft cloud temporary backup, all the data inside this account will be deleted permanently. And no one will access it anymore.

So, the thing you need to do is, contact the admin of your tenant (or if you are the admin), follow this official article to take out this important file from his/her OneDrive file to a new location (like download a copy and change a new owner) so that the related users can still collaborate on it.

See: Step 5 - Give another employee access to OneDrive and Outlook data - Microsoft 365 admin | Microsoft Learn

Let me know if you need any further support or I made any misunderstanding of your scenario. I appreciate your time and effort on checking these above and thank you for your patience and cooperation. I hope that you are keeping safe and well!

Sincerely,

Mia | Microsoft Community Moderator

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 1, 2024 Views 29 Applies to: