We're syncing your files but it's taking longer than expected

I am experiencing a business-impacting issue where my primary one drive storage is unable to synchronize to my computer.  Specifically, there are sync problems that say "We're syncing your files but it's taking longer than expected."

The files appear to be stuck coming from the server to my local computer.

I have tried all of the following in an attempt to fix this:

1. Cleared cache and followed the manual repair/reset procedure (can't tell you how many times a month I have to do this with this lowsy sync software)
  2. I have now completely reset my computer to factory defaults and restored windows from scratch and it still is giving me these errors.

The files are always different every time, it is as if it is random.  I have never had issues with my files before and I always made sure my files were syncing clean to the server, as painful as it is.  I am not clear why it started to do this to me.  I am using Office 2016 and just downloaded the latest build.  I have just checked for updates to office and there are no new updates.

Please help me with this endlessly painful experience that is one drive for business...

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

hi bryce,

could you first check the following?

1. do the file names begin with a tilde (~) or period (.)? could you provide some example of the file names with us to check if they exceed the limitations of onedrive for business?
2. could you check the version of the onedrive for business sync client via task manager > details > right click groove.exe > properties > details and make sure it is same as your office?
3. how many items are there in the library? please note there are some limitations on the number and size of the items:

4. have you tried the sync client under a different network? if possible, could you try this to make sure the issue is not related to the network environment?

if you have checked these all good but the issue persist, could you provide some logs with us for further troubleshooting? i have sent you a private message to provide the steps and you can access it via the your details section on the right > private messages.

besides, to sync your onedrive for business, you may also consider trying out the preview version of the next generation onedrive for business sync client according to the guidance in this link.
follow the article “manual disconnect steps for previous versions of onedrive for business.docx” to stop syncing the folders in the current onedrive for business sync client. them, go through the documentation “onedrive for business setup and deployment guide (preview 1006).docx” for the installation steps for the new client as well as the instruction to report any issue back to us.
here is a published blog to meet the new onedrive for business:
https://blog.onedrive.com/meet-the-new-onedrive-for-business/

thanks,
eric yang

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

1. no, they do not have or start with any illegal characters.  the files also change from time to time, they are never the same "problems".  

here are the current 5 examples i can give you:

1. officer and director indemnification.pdf
  2. 2015.07.16 - special meeting notice.docx
  3. landscaping.txt
  4. 2.jpg
  5. hoover.txt

2. groove.exe version is 16.0.6001.1038 and this is the same as the results for winword.exe

3. how many items in the library: there are only 1,272 files and 189 folders.  4.21 gb in total.

4.  have i tried it under a different network environment: i have just attempted to do that and there is no change.

i will respond to your message re: logs.

i am worried to try out the next generation sync client because we are warned not to use this for production environments... is that still the case or is it out of testing?  i am the admin for our team so i would not mind piloting it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

just so you can see, i performed a repair and re-synced the library again and now it is two different files listed....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having exactly the same issue. Some files refuse to download (sync to my computer) and after repairing it shows other files with this problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Vitalie: each time you try to repair, does it show different files as being the problem trying to download to your client?

We still haven't found a resolution yet, still working through the logging process.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

yes, different files. i ended up creating a new folder locally and uploading (syncing up) that instead of downloading (syncing down), then deleting the original folder. Of course that only works when there is a local copy of the files present.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Vitalie,

Since similar symptoms may different root causes, to help us focus on each case, could you post a new thread via the “post a question” button on the top?

Thanks for your cooperation.

Best Regards,
Eric Yang

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bryce,

Are you still experiencing this issue? If so, could you re-capture the OneDrive for Business log and provide it for us for further check?

Regards,

Spike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, all of a sudden, and I mean all of a sudden with no change or explanations... The files finally finished syncing.  I cannot explain it.  I really don't trust One Drive for Business with my files and really hope the new version coming out soon will be better. Do you know when it is "official" for production use?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bryce,

The next generation OneDrive for Business sync client will be released for end of the year (Q4) for both PC and Mac.

You can also monitor our OneDrive Blog for the latest updates.

Regards,

Spike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 6, 2020 Views 2,739 Applies to: