We're sorry but this feature appears to be broken and needs to be repaired. Use the Programs and Features option in the Windows Control Panel to repair Microsoft Office.

I just started to get this message this morning" We're sorry but this feature appears to be broken and needs to be repaired. Use the Programs and Features option in the Windows Control Panel to repair Microsoft Office." I got this when I try to open up word 2016. I have gone to my school Liberty University It Helpdesk three times today. 1st and 2nd time I went to them They repaired it by using the Full version (online version) repair. Soon after it got done reinstalling the Office 365, The message came back when I use the word 2016. Last visit, the technician looked at my add-ins and see if disabling one add in and that did not work. Also he at last resort , He uninstalled and reinstalled Offfice365 for me. Even after all they did for me I still received the same message as before. Is there anything else it can be done concerning Office 365 Word 2016 app. Every other app works just fine except the Word 2016. What kind of feature of Word 2016 is broken?

Hello Elizabeth,

As you mentioned in the issue description about disabling one add-ins, let us try starting Word application in safe mode to disable all add-ins. You may also start Word in safe mode following steps mentioned below and then check if problem persist:

• Hold Windows key + R.

• Copy and paste, or type the following command in the Open box, and then press Enter:
    Winword /safe
    Note: There is space between Winword and /

If Word works in safe mode as expected, disable the add-ins, following link mentioned below to determine the problem causing add-in:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Work-with-Office-safe-modes-dedf944a-5f4b-4afb-a453-528af4f7ac72

You may also refer to the suggestion mentioned in the following link on similar issue and check if it helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-word/known-issues-that-cause-word-2016-to-crash-or-stop/585eaee2-d771-4c88-86a3-733314dfc81d

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

For right now,  Even after  the   repairs and uninstalling and reinstalling and   trying the winword/safe mode , I still   have   problems  with   word 2016. I  have tried everything about it.   I  even    contacted  the    Microsoft help  desk  , and    Liberty helps desk   for   help  and no  matter  what  they   did to troubleshoot Office 365  and winword/safe mode   and full  repairs and  uninstalling and reinstalling office 365.   I still    experienced  thewe're   sorry  the   feature   is broken  and  needs  to  repaired. 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Exit Word and then delete the Normal.dotm file from your system. Restart Word and see if you still get the error message. If the error message is still present, troubleshoot poorly designed add-ins as discussed in the article at https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Why-do-I-get-a-stopped-working-message-when-I-start-my-Office-application-52bd7985-4e99-4a35-84c8-2d9b8301a2fa.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Right now, I can not find the normal dot. I have windows 10 64 is my operating systems . I have problems finding Normal dot templete. I annly found it in the default apps but I can not find the systems files in windows 10. I am not able delete normal 10.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Go to microsoft account

Go to office 365 setting

Go to language and install option -  choose your language, 32 or 64

Install

Click save files

Click run

Note: You can also download offline version

I solved my problem

calling the techs? They will ask you ridiculous questions when you are paying premium price for a service that you can get FREE OF CHARGE

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's not working. Maybe the best solution is just uninstall ms office and install another replacing app. I am using wps now. It's far more faster and easy to use, and it's free.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's not working. Maybe the best solution is just uninstall ms office and install another replacing app.

Did you try repairing Office from Control Panel? See https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repair-an-Office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b. If necessary, you can uninstall Office (possibly manually) and then reinstall it. See https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Uninstall-Office-from-a-PC-9dd49b83-264a-477a-8fcc-2fdf5dbf61d8.

It seems a waste of money not to use a program that you have purchased.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To get the most appropriate help, you should provide full details of the version of Office and WIndows that you are using and what you are trying to do.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 34,042 Applies to: