we don't recognize this user id or password

I'm trying to use a trial version and I can't log in.  I keep getting the "we don't recognize this user id or password.  When I click on "can't access account" and plug in my user id (I've copy & pasted the exact user id in the email I was sent when I signed up), I get this:

Get back into your account Who are you?
To recover your account, begin by entering your user ID and the characters in the picture or audio below.
I do that over and over and I get the same error - that I have the wrong user id and yet I'm entering exactly what it says in the email.  Please help!!!  I'm trying to log in from the portal.

Hi Maribeth,

Which portal do you want to access, the Office 365 for Business portal or the Microsoft portal?

For the Office 365 for Business portal, you need to use a work/school account (the account created via tenant admin, it is related to Office 365 for Business Online services).
For the Microsoft portal, you need to use a Microsoft account (the account signed up in Microsoft ourselves, it could be Outlook, Gmail and all the email accounts).

Moreover, to start a trial version of Office 365 Home, Personal, University, we need to use the Microsoft account to access the URL www.office.com/myaccount.
To learn more, see Download and install or reinstall Office 365, Office 2016, or Office 2013 on your PC.

In this case, if the issue persists, as our forum focuses on Office 365 for Business Online services, we suggest you post a new thread in our Office Answer forum for further support. It’s a specific channel that handles Office 365 Home, Personal, University related issues and questions. Thanks for your understanding.

If you have an work/school account but cannot log into Office 365 for Business portal, please post back. We will collect some information for further investigation.

Best regards,
Tim

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It's the Office 365 Business Premium Trial and I'm accessing with portal.office.com.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hi maribeth,

thanks for your updates.

could you let us know the work/school account you signed up? it is like *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.

to protect your privacy, i have sent you a private message to collect it. you can find the message via the url https://community.office365.com/en-us/user/conversations.

moreover, please capture a screenshot for the error message when you want to sign into office portal.

to post a picture, click use rich formatting>insert/edit media icon  in the thread page.

best regards,
tim

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hi maribeth,

your account is correct. it seems that you have entered a wrong password. do you forget your password for this account?

if yes, you can click can't access your account to reset your password as this is an admin account.
note: when you enter your work/school account, make sure there is no space at the end of account, otherwise you will get the error message as below.

you will need to verify your email and phone number which you used for signing up the account. to learn more, see reset my administrator password for office 365.

if the issue persists, please post back with the screenshot of the error message when you want to reset the password.

to post a picture, you can follow the pictures below (in the community thread page):

thanks for your time.

tim

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

this is the first screen shot:

i click on "can't access your account" and when i go to the next screen, i enter my user id and the captcha thing and get this:

it keeps telling me it's the wrong user id and i've made sure i have the right id, no spaces, etc.

thank you for your help.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Maribeth,

Have you added custom domain to this tenant and switched your admin account to that custom domain (change *** Email address is removed for privacy *** to Mari@customdomain)?

If yes, please try using that account (Mari@customdomain) to reset your password.

Note:If you remember the password, you can try signing into Office portal with that account.

If the issue persists, I'd like to confirm the following things:
1.When do you find you can't access Office portal? Did you change something for this admin account?
2.Have you switched your admin account to another added custom domain?

Best regards,
Tim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Maribeth,

Are there any updates? Can you sign into Office portal now?

Best regards,
Tim

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 16, 2024 Views 1,374 Applies to: