Very hard to rename files & folders in OneDrive for Business since Fall Creators Update

Hi there,

Since the Fall creators update I have noticed that file and folder names exhibit strange behaviour when attempting to rename them in File Explorer.

I can hit F2 or select rename, and the bounding box around the name shows as usual. Also as usual the name text is highlighted.

If I want to change part of the file name I move the cursor using either the mouse, the cursor keys or the Home and End keys, etc.

But then the text becomes highlighted again! Sometimes this takes a a second or so, sometimes it happens nearly immediately. It happens continuously though, not just once. Obviously this makes it super-hard to adjust file and folder names!

This does not occur for items not in OneDrive.

A fix would be welcome.

Here is an example of the behaviour in action. Here I hit F2 for the selected PDF file, then press the right cursor key, then the text gets re-highlighted so I press the key again.... and so on.

Regards, T

Moved from: OneDrive / Working with files and folders on OneDrive / Editing and viewing files and folders / OneDrive in Windows 10

Answer
Answer

Hi James,

Apologies, I realise we are using the OneDrive client rather than the OneDrive for Business client - we switched over some months ago I think. We are using it with our O365 and to sync SharePoint libraries

1. Yes, this applies to all files types I have tried it with. (.jpg, .png, .svg, .txt, .doc, .docx, .csv, .xlsx, .vsd, .pdf etc)
  2. No, other users do not seem to see this behaviour.
  3. The version number is 2017 (Build 17.3.7101.1018)
  4. Until this very moment it was happening consistently. Just now (literally between me typing out response 1 and 2) however it has stopped happening at all! I'll restart the machine again now and see if it re-occurs after reboot.

Regards, T

EDIT: after a reboot (which I had already done several times during the lifetime of the issue) the behaviour is still absent. So I guess you can chalk this one up to gremlins :)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 31, 2024 Views 1,161 Applies to: