Using Word with dual monitors

I have just recently started having two problems.

The first is that I can no longer use my dual monitors when working with Word. The documents open fine on my main monitor. I can drag the document to my second monitor--on which it appears in a smaller window (the icon in the upper right changes from being two squares laid on top of one another to just one square). If I click the one square to enlarge the screen to fill the full monitor, I get nothing but garbage on the screen.

How can I view the document in full screen mode without getting garbage?

Secondly, just today, I got a message asking me to give Microsoft full access to the content in my Office program in return for, well, I'm not sure what. I didn't care to say "yes," so I said "no." I thought that I just wouldn't have access to things like extra templates and so forth. Now, ReadAloud (which had very briefly reappeared on my computer--and which I love) is completely gone. I haven't explored what other features have suddenly disappeared (I have a stand-alone copy of Office), but I am extremely annoyed by this.

I suppose I would allow Microsoft access to what is in my content via Office to get ReadAloud back--but I'm not sure it would come back. Would I get ReadAloud back on my standalone program if I were to say "yes"--and how do I go about changing my mind on this? What else did I lose when I said "no" (the screen suggested that it would be peripheral things like extra templates--not integral commands)?

Basically, I'd like to know a little more about that screen that popped up today (there was very little explanation)--and what did that all mean? I am deciding whether to just give up on Office altogether right now, as too many features are no longer working on my stand-alone (not Office 365) version.

Thanks!

Answer
Answer
to disable hardware acceleration: Go to file, options in any office program - its on the Advanced page. In word, its under Display section, about halfway down the page.
Diane Poremsky [M365 Apps & Services MVP]
My specialty is Outlook and Microsoft 365 issues.
https://www.slipstick.com
https://www.outlook-tips.net
Mark Yes below if it helped or resolved your issue.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 21, 2024 Views 3,286 Applies to: