Using employer subscription to Office 365 on personal laptop

I am an academic and I own two laptops which I regularly use when working from home as well as for personal stuff - kids' homework, etc.. I installed Windows 10 and set up both devices using my personal email as a sign-in, and I intend using OneDrive to share files between them. However, I recently had to restore one machine to factory settings and reinstall Windows, and this meant losing MS Office from that machine in the process.

My other laptop still has Office 2016 installed, with a licence that I purchased at a discounted rate through my employer, but if memory serves this was a one-off purchase with a product key that was only valid for use within a limited time frame. I therefore can't use it again and this licence option no longer seems to be available through my employer. Instead, my employment status entitles me to download and install Office 365 on up to 5 devices through the university's licence. So far, so good, but I can only activate this new copy of Office 365 by signing in with my work email address because this is the one associated with the employer's licence. My question is, will being signed in to my computer via my personal email whilst at the same time signing in to Office through my work address cause issues, and will it impact on my ability to share files between the two devices? I don't want to switch from Office 2016 on the first machine as I much prefer it, and I don't really want to have to use my work email as my login for my home computers -- especially as I share them with my kids.

Answer
Answer
Hi AJA74,

I think the sharing of files/folders in OneDrive or OneDrive for Business won't be affected as access or edit files/folders located in OneDrive or OneDrive for Business are determined by the permissions. There is no intersection between Log into Windows with personal email (or say personal Microsoft account) and log into Office services/products (Office clients, OneDrive for Business, ect.) through work address (or say Work or School account).

Should you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to reply. :)

Best Regards,
Hugo
-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 12,859 Applies to: