"[user] is not authorized to relay messages through the server that reported this error."

A user is receiving the email below every time he tries sending an email to a particular address. I've removed both emails for security purposes and replaced them with text in [brackets]. I also removed Original Message Details, Error Details, and Message Hops sections for security purposes.

I made the suggestion that the recipient check his mailbox settings, but it seems that it didn't work.

Any assistance with this would be great. Thank you.

Your message to [recipient] couldn't be delivered.
[user] is not authorized to relay messages through the server that reported this error.
[user] Office 365 [recipient]
Sender Action Required
Sender not authorized for relay
How to Fix It
When Office 365 tried to send your message to the next server outside Office 365, that server reported an error that it couldn't relay your message. It's likely that the email server isn't correctly set up to receive and relay messages from your organization.
To fix this issue, forward this non-delivery report (NDR) to your email admin.

Was this helpful? Send feedback to Microsoft.

More Info for Email Admins
Status code: 550 5.7.368 

The sender's message was routed to an email server outside Office 365 that returned an error that it can't relay the message. It's likely that the server isn't set up correctly to receive and relay messages sent from foodmaven.com or from bend.

The receiving server is not an Office 365 server - it's likely one of your on-premises servers in a hybrid environment, a server at a smart host email service that you're trying to route messages through, or possibly a server at an email hosting service you used in the past yet still have mail flow settings pointing to (for example, when your MX record still points to your previous email service provider).

To fix this issue, check the error shown in the "Error Details" section below to determine what domain, service, or server is reporting the error. The email server needs to be configured to either accept messages from anonymous users or to include the sending domain or sending IP address in its list of authenticated senders. On an on-premises Exchange server, you can set this up in the server's receive connector. If it's a smart host managed by another service or partner, contact the service or partner and ask them to configure their servers to accept and relay messages from your domain or from your senders. Also, work with your DNS hosting provider (your domain registrar, Web hosting provider, or ISP) to make sure your MX records are correctly set up to direct messages to the correct location.

Unfortunately, Office 365 support can't help fix this problem because it's likely due to misconfigured settings on an email server outside Office 365.

Hi Andy,

To further troubleshoot this issue and help you further, I'd like to confirm two questions with you: 

1. Regarding "I made the suggestion that the recipient check his mailbox settings", please double-check with the recipient side admin to see if they have added the issue user's sending IP addresses/ email address or domain to their allowed/safe senders list.

2. Also, have you checked the DNS settings with your DNS hosting provider to make sure your MX records or SPF records are correctly set up to direct messages to the correct location? If not, I suggest we first check this settings to see if there is any difference.

If the answer of above two questions is yes, all settings are OK and the issue persists, then please let this user sign in Outlook Web App to see if he/she can send emails successfully, the user need to send emails to both internal/external recipients and share the result with us.

Moreover, please go to the Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer(ExRCA) and try below option to test the user ability to send mail from your Exchange Online organization:  

Here is an crticle for your reference, please kindly checked it on your side to see if it helps: Fix email delivery issues for error code 550 5.7.1 in Office 365.

If you need further assistance about this issue, we need to collect following information:

1. Which kind of environment do you set up? Is it Hybrid deployment or purely Exchange Online?

2. Please save the complete non-delivery report email as .msg file (File > Save As) and send it us to us for analysis. 

3. Moreover, please caputre a screenshot of the ExRCA result and share it with us.

To protect your privacy, I have sent you a private message to collect above files and here is a link to access it: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessage/inbox.

Regards,

Jennifer

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* We are happy and always here to help you, and share the Microsoft 365 for business online information with you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Jennifer,

I didn't get a private message. I will, however, go ahead and collect those last three items you listed and send them to you as soon as I receive a PM. Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andy,

Sorry for this and I have sent it to you just now, could you please check it again?

PM: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessage/inbox

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

Jennifer

* We are happy and always here to help you, and share the Microsoft 365 for business online information with you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andy,

We haven't received your reply. Do you need further assistance?

Regards,

Jennifer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 36,337 Applies to: