Unable to run Excel VBA 'record macro' in Office 2016

Hi,

after installing the last Windows 10 update (version 1809) I am not able to run Excel VBA "record macro". When trying to save the macro the error message "unable to record" appears (Office 2016).

Meanwhile I´m sure that the problem are the missing rights in Windows10: A repair or new installation of office 2016 made no change. I checked all right issues in Excel (like trust center settings etc.)

When I log in as "super admin" (not as normal admin) the problem doesn´t occure! This means Excel is missing the right to write the macro.

My question: is this a failure in the Windows 10 update (and how to overcome it?) or how may I "repair" the right system of Windows 10 or what else to solve the problem?

Thank´s for support!

Cheers CharlyJT

***Original title: Right system failure in Window 10 after update to version 1809***

***Moved from: Windows 10/Windows update, recovery, & backup***

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I experience the same issue right after updating to 1809. In addition to the mentioned, the VBA is opening a new Project instance each time I am clicking on the "Visual Basic" button under the "Developer" tab.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have exactly the same issue since windows 10 build 1809 got installed:

- macro recording does not work

- clicking on the "Visual Basic" button under the "Developer" tab opens not 1, but 4! new VBA projects

Repair/re-install did not fix the issue. Also the computer is brand new with a fresh install of windows etc.

Only bypass I have is working on another PC, which does not have windows 1809 yet.

Jan-Willem

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issues on a new desktop PC with windows 10 build 1809:

Unable to record macro error message and new project instances when clicking the visual basic button:

But on two other PC's with the 1809 build installed, the problem does not occur. I assumed the cause of the problem is a bad installation or interfering software, so I did a reinstall of office and even a clean install of Win 10 (1809) and office 2016 with no additional software. Unfortunately, the problem  was not resolved. I tried also with office 2019, same result. I tested 32-bit and 64-bit office versions, same result.

It looks like a VBA/MS-Office problem, not a specific excel issue. The following macro security levels were in place: enable all macros and Trust access to the VBA project object model enabled.

Some further observations:

MS-Excel: Each time I push the "Visual Basic" button in a workbook under the  "Developer" tab, it creates a new Project in the project explorer.(Project1, Project2, Project3 etc.). The number of new created "projects" per push of the "Visual Basic" button corresponds with the number of existing worksheets.

MS-Word: When I try to record a macro in a new workbook, a message box pops up saying "the macro could not be created". When clicking the "Visual Basic" button, a message box pops up saying "Word has encountered a problem" and the following Help text:

"There is a problem saving the file.
Usually this is because the disk or floppy disk is too small for the file or is full, RAM memory is low, or there is a permission problem with the drive the file is being saved to.
If the amount of disk space for a paging file is low, save the file to another drive. If the RAM memory is low, increase available RAM. If permissions to the drive do not allow you to save to that drive, save the file to another drive or request permissions from the administrator to save files to the drive.
Note   This error can also occur if the computer is running a version of antivirus software that is incompatible with the Microsoft Office or must be updated."

I have 64 GB RAM and a large hard drive with no permission problems. Problem also occurs with no antivirus software installed.

The "super admin" workaround does not work and I have no clue for a solution but to work on a different PC .

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Installed Windows 10 Home Insider Preview Evaluation copy (Build 18309.rs_prerelease.181220-1256

Problems with excel (record macro's, activex controls, empty projects) disappeared.

So it definitely is a windows 10 issue!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Had the same issue

Issue resolved by downloading and updating office 365 .

Aner

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue with MS Word 365.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem on a brand new Lenovo ThinkStation P330 with a clean Windows 1809 installation and Office 2019. All with latest updates.

I also tried older Office versions -> same result.

A new installation with Windows 1803 fixed the problem. But this can't be solution for the problem!

Is there a workaround or solution for this problem? Office 365 is no object.

Thx

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue over here, Fresh install of Windows 10 (1809) and Office 2016.

Macro recording is not possible

VBA projects keeps on creating while opening VBA screen or switch design mode

When selecting a project and enter some code, saving the worksheet, the code is not saved also.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem. All my Word 365 macros stopped working after upgrading to Win 10 build 1809. Going back to previous build using "recovery options" "fixes" the issue. On fresh install of  Win10 1809 there is no luck.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Seeems like I found a workaround with help from MS Support

Changing "Regional format" from English (Danish) to English (United States) worked for me.

30 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 7, 2021 Views 4,110 Applies to: