Unable to login to Outlook on Mac, using Office 365

Hi,

I'm currently dealing with a customer who's work 365 account has been setup as a personal account, as opposed to a work or school account. When I login with the credentials to Office.com, it asks to choose between work or school or personal. When I choose personal, the credentials will work. If I choose work or school, they wont. If I try to add his email account into Outlook for Mac, the credentials will not go through.

I think this may be because Outlook isn't asking for personal/work or school, any advise is welcome. 

Thanks. 

Answer
Answer
Have now resolved this issue, needed to login with it as an exchange account instead of a 365 account. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hello Sean,

If you see a screen asking, "Which account do you want to use?" when you sign in, it means that you may have two accounts with Microsoft using the same email address. The “Work or school account" was either created on purpose by your organization's IT department, or in rare cases, accidentally by another organization whose .com domain name matches that of your personal account. Given this situation, I suggest you try to rename the personal Microsoft account, which means using a different email address to sign in to it. You can either create a new email address (alias) or set an existing email address to be your primary alias.

To rename your account, please follow the steps in the I want to use a different email address or phone number to sign in” section. Doing this changes the way you sign in to your account, but it won’t affect any of the data associated with it. Once you change the personal account, please try to add this account into Outlook for Mac again and check the result.

If the issue still persists, please provide the error message or its screenshot to me for further assistance.

Regards,

Seven

-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 21, 2020 Views 197 Applies to: