Unable to delete Channel Permanently in MS TEAMS.

Hi,

We are cleaning up some channels in TEAMS and unable to delete Channel Permanently in MS TEAMS and SharePoint folder associated with that channel.

As if we try to delete the folder in SharePoint (after deleting Channel), it shows error and TEAMS channel is visible under deletion which is not removing.

Can anyone help us how to get rid of these folders from SharePoint and Deleted Channels permanently? In case if this by design product limitation then please help me to get MS Article on the same.

Thanks.

Regards,

Yogesh Barania.

Hi YOGESHBARANIA,

Sorry for the inconvenience the problem caused for you.
Based on your description, you want to delete channel permanently in Teams and SharePoint. The tab on Teams is just a link that links to the SharePoint folder, so these two need to be deleted separately. 
To further investigate this, we need to get more information first, could you please provide some information for us?
1. The screenshot of error message when you try to delete the folder in SharePoint(after deleting Channel).
2. Neither SharePoint nor Teams can be deleted, or only SharePoint cannot delete?

Appreciate your understanding and patience in advance.

Regards,
Jazlyn

-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Jazlyn,

We were trying to delete Channel permanently and it is still visible under deletion (Channel was deleted almost a month ago)

1. Unable to delete folder from SharePoint, error message: "To Delete this folder, go to Channel in Microsoft TEAMS."

2. We want to delete Channel and SharePoint folder both which belongs to one of the TEAMS.

Could you please help me in how to delete Channel permanently and SharePoint folder associated with the same Channel?

Thanks.

Regards,

Yogesh Barania.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi YOGESHBARANIA,

According to this official article about Delete a channel in Teams, the team owners can delete the channel with those steps easily. Hence, the problem you encountered might be an issue rather than a limitation by design.

Based on your description, I tested on my side. Here are the steps,
1. Create a channel. Find the team name and click More options  > Add channel.
2. Open the channel folder in SharePoint.
3. Delete the channel folder in SharePoint successfully and the channel is still exist in Teams.
4. Then Delete the channel in Teams and recycle bin of SharePoint.
5. I also tried delete the channels in Teams first, then delete the folders in SharePoint. However, the result was without any error.
If there are any differences from your steps, please let me know.

You can give a shot on the following suggestions.
1. You can try another browser to delete the SharePoint folder to see if it works.
2. You can try to restore the channel, then delete the folder in SharePoint first and then delete the channel in Teams.
3. I found a thread which is similar problem with you. You can try to move the folder to your OneDrive and delete this folder from your OneDrive instead. Please try the workaround in this thread at your convenient and see the result.

To help you better, we need to collect some information to narrow down the problem.
1. You mentioned ”one of the Teams”, does the problem happen on all channels or the channels in a specific team?
2. Could you try to create a new channel and delete it in both Teams and SharePoint?
3. According to the error message, did you try to delete the channel first in Teams? Did the same problem happen?

If my steps are different from yours, please post back and correct me. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jazlyn

-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

Sorry this didn't help.

***EDIT***  I am referring to an issue with deleting "Private Channels"

This is a known bug that is with MS Engineering with a 1-2 month fix time. I have an active Premier case open on this.  However, MS is not publicly acknowledging that it's a bug.  It's tied to an issue with retention policies. The work around is that the channels can be deleted from iOS or Android mobile apps.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 23, 2020 Views 11,208 Applies to: