Unable to activate office 365

Dear All,

We have purchased new license for office 365 and accounts are added with licenses. However when we are trying to activate O365 we are getting the error 'We are unable to connect right now. Please check your network and try again' and on MS office products its showing as 'No internet connection'. This is happening for all computers within our organization. When we are connecting those computers to open internet office activation is working fine. So its being blocked locally. Could any one suggest what should be the exception added in firewall(CIsco ASA) or proxy server(MS forefront 2010) to reach the office 365 activation server and activate within local office network. Attached are the error messages.

Thanks in Advance

Hi Livin,

Please refer to the detailed steps in this article Troubleshoot Office from Office 365 installation and activation issues to check the outcome. If you are not the admin and not familiar with the operation, please contact your IT admin to take them.

If the issue remains, please let us know the following information so we can assist your further:

1. Have you ever activated Office 365 desktop apps successfully on the computer?

2. The computer system and check if all the user account are impacted.

Regards,

Jared

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Livin,

Any update would be appreciated. If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Regards,

Jared

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Jared,

Sorry for the delay. I have tried until the step 3 mentioned in the article that you gave me without any success.

We were previously using Office 2010 in our computers, so does that step 4 is really valid? Please note that whenever i am connecting to open internet O365 activation is working fine. Hence the activation is being blocked by our office security measures(Cisco firewall or MS TMG server).

When we are connected to our office network, even though the computers are having internet there will be a mark on network access 'no internet access' will that really affect on office 365 activation? Let me know your comments.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Livin,

Since you were using Office 2010 in your computers before, the Step 4 from the article is no need to attempt.

Based on your description, I understand that Office 365 activation is working fine with a typical open network connection. Regarding” When we are connected to our office network, even though the computers are having internet there will be a mark on network access 'no internet access”, I’d like to confirm that whether you can access the outside network resource under ‘no internet access’.

Besides, it will affect Office 365 activation without a good internet connection, because each time when the user logs on to their computer, the computer connects to the Activation and Validation Service to verify the license status. This is the outside resource against the resource inside your organization.

So, I suggest you include the URLs of Office 365 authentication and identity in your outbound allow lists to ensure these computers can successfully use Office 365. Please refer to the authentication and identity section for detailed information in the following article.

Office 365 URLs and IP address ranges

Regards,

William

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When we are connected to our office network, even though the computers are having internet there will be a mark on network access 'no internet access' will that really affect on office 365 activation? Let me know your comments.

Yes it certainly will. Office 365/CTR (Click to Run) is MUCH more sensitive to network connections than Office 2010 was for installation and ongoing running.

When CTR was first introduced in 2010, MS has a series of what I called "stupid install stunts".  With a GOOD Wireless network connection they were able to install in various absurd situations:

• parachuting
  • in a race car
  • in a speed boat
  • etc

But, since then more and more people have reported installation and activation problems that were eventually directly related to network connection issues. One of the tests has been to, as you have done, use an alternate network connection to see if the problem is specific to your original network.  While that was OK for Office 2013 1-time payment licenses, it is not workable for Office 365.

I have collected all of the "network connection" related fixes I've seen reported into a single Wiki.  Browse through it and see if you can find any of those fixes that are relevant to your situation.

“Network Connection” / "Network Related" fixes collected all in one place

[MS-ERREF]: Windows Error Codes - Microsoft

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwjMlfPznLrPAhWi6oMKHR_VDRwQFgguMAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.microsoft.com%2Fdownload%2F9%2F5%2Fe%2F95ef66af-9026-4bb0-a41d-a4f81802d92c%2F%5Bms-erref%5D.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFERlNgE8xBNst1EX93hcSrqqbFNQ&sig2=gAgbxytsSo5ySAD8waMWCQ&cad=rja

"Official" MS documentation of error codes, gives you error message text associated with error code if you don't already have that, but nothing more

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Livin,

Any update would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jared

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 18, 2023 Views 4,768 Applies to: