Two spaces when hitting space bar

Split from this thread.

Interesting.

In follow-up to this problem, I now notice when I'm typing on this particular document and hit the space bar at the end of a sentence, the cursor jumps two spaces ahead.  When I start to type, it jumps back.  The end result is OK, but the movements are distracting.

This only happens with this document

Possibly related to the same issue with Scrivener? Any easy way to correct?

|
Hi Ralphhm,

Based on your description, the cursor jumps when you type words and hit the space bar at the end of a sentence in one specific document. could you please provide the information below?
    1. Detailed steps and related screenshots about what you encounter.
    2. The document which encounters the issue, so we can check it from our side. To protect your privacy, I have sent you a private message for the information, you can access it via this link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessages/list
    3. The version of your Office: Word> About Word.

Besides, if you have other questions, I would like to suggest you post a new thread in this forum, so we can handle it separately.

Regards,
Yoga
-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Ralphhm,

Based on your description, the issue only occurs on one document.

I suggest you try the following steps:

1. Create a new document.

2. Copy the content of the affected document.

3. Paste to the new document.

If the issue still exists, could you please provide the information which is collected by Yoga? As we need the information to reproduce the issue.

About the document, I suggest you mark the privacy information, then you can upload the file via Private Message.

Thanks,

Qing

If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ralphhm,

Have you checked the above? Do you need further help?

Regards,

Kimi

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. You can fix the issue by going to Microsoft  Preferences.
  2. Click Spelling & Grammar
  3. Make sure the item highlighted above in screenshot is either set as shown or click on Don't Check to reveal Choices.
  4. Set either to Don't Check or to one Space.

The two spaces after a sentence is a holdover from typewriter days.  

In the heyday before the IBM Selectric®, and the DaisyWheel Printers all typewriters used a Monospaced font either Elite (a smaller thinner print), or Pica (a Larger, thicker Print).

With the advent of Daisy-wheel printers and with replaceable daisy-wheels type could be variable spaced fonts could be created.

In the days of Monospaced fonts, it was necessary to add an additional space to distinguish between sentences.

Now forty, fifty years later we have Two groups that Hang on to such archaic methods. The APA  and perhaps the Legal Profession and they have one additional requirement Double spacing of line of type. 

Many College and universities base their requirements for writing Papers and dissertations on APA guidelines.

If you are in such institutions either as students or employees then go by the institution's Guidelines. But if you are an average person It is not necessary. So adjust as I have described above. 

_________

Disclaimer:

The questions, discussions, opinions, replies & answers I create, are solely mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon my position as a Community Moderator.

If my reply has helped, mark accordingly - Helpful or Answer
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 17,399 Applies to: