Trying to use a linked workbook without opening the source files

I'm trying to create a database that is fed by several hundred files.  Each source file contains a lot of data on several tabs, but all I'm pulling out is the summary information from one tab (it ends up being a 9x24 array for each source...again hundreds and hundreds of these simulation files)...however these files take over 60 seconds to open.  I know how to create links from each source to the database; the problem is opening and updating the destination file.  I do NOT want all the source files to open each time I try to open the database, it would take all day to open and update them all.

The source files are generated by a separate program which automatically updates and saves over the old source file when I re-run any given simulation.  So I want the database to just automatically reflect those changes without having to constantly cut and paste data every time.

Is there a way to have the database update without actually opening each file?  Or is there a way to disable updates until I ask it to update specific links?

This is the current path (with a few minor privacy changes):

=Excel.Sheet.8|'C:\Users\Xxxxx.X.Xxxx\Documents\XXXX\XXX Project #X\ANALYSIS\Database\loop 4\L4 . D5-6-8 . No592 . SN3\L4 . D5-6-8 . No592 . SN3.xls'!'!Distress Summary!R5C5:R28C14'

From what I've read I believe the issue is with the "Excel.Sheet.8|" part...I've tried to get it to work with just the source path, but it won't let me edit this (maybe because it's an array so I can't just change the one cell).  And the cell reference R5C5:R28C14...I don't understand what that is referencing...this particular file is sourced in cells E5:N28 and the destination cells are R366:AA389

I chose excel because a)I'm more familiar with it than Access but b) I need this data to be very flexible and easy to plot up/run regressions on.

Is it possible to make this work efficiently?

Answer
Answer

Shane, thanks for clarifying the row/column thing, that makes more sense.

The options under Data/Edit Links/Startup Prompt are better routes than giving permissions to the folder, though I have figured out the issue.

I use dual monitors to make working on two excel sheets faster, ironically this is the source of my issue.

Having two excel windows open (as opposed to two projects inside one excel window) is the problem.  Copying and pasting the link between two windows inserts that "=Excel.Sheet.8" in there and thus prompts the destination file to open the source.  Doing the copying and pasting between project files that are in the same excel window works fine and will then update without opening any other files.

To do this excel should show the 'paste special' window that has bubble options to paste all/formulas/values/etc as opposed to the 'paste special' window that makes you choose from a list of pasting formats (picture/bitmap/etc).

Shane thanks for your comments!  Hope this helps save someone else a lot of frustration!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 21,912 Applies to: