Track Changes on Excel Online Browser

Hi All, 

Can we track changes in Excel Online browser? 

I have an excel where I have enabled 'Track Changes' , and I am not able to open it in excel online? Is there a way around it so other users can edit it online, while I am editing on desktop excel (latest version)? Or everybody has to work on excel desktop for it to work?

Many Thanks in Advance,

Nipun 

Answer
Answer

Hi Nipun,

It is not feasible to track changes in Excel Online. If you have the legacy workbook sharing feature (including the legacy track changes), you will not be able to open it in Excel Online.

The Shared Workbook feature has many limitations and has been replaced by co-authoring. Co-authoring doesn't provide the ability to track changes. However, if you and others have the file open at the same time (both Online and on the Desktop), you can see each other's selections and changes as they happen. Also, if the file is stored on the cloud, it's possible to view past versions so you can see each person's changes. Learn more about co-authoring.

If you would like to continue to work using the legacy Shared Workbook feature, then everybody has to work on Excel Desktop for it to work.

Additionally, we suggest you vote for this feature to work on Excel Online via UserVoice

Regards,

Sheen

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 7, 2022 Views 25,514 Applies to: