Teams Login_hint is duplicated

We have started to get the following error with the Teams desktop App (on Windows devices) for a small number of our users. We followed all the suggestions posted which temporary fixes the problem but then it comes back again. What is causing this problem?

Hello AgriMike,

Based on the error message "The parameter login_hit is duplicate" , may I know if he is using Teams desktop App?  If so,  first to isolate if the problem is related the user's Teams account, please close the Teams desktop app, and then try to sign into Teams Web App https://teams.microsoft.com/  to see if the issue disappears. 

If he could successfully sign into Teams Web App, this indicates the problem is more likely related to the Teams Desktop App,  since you said some of users have this problem, now to further check if the problem only occurred to the specific Teams Desktop, you can suggest the user to sign his Teams account to another workable computer (Teams)  and then see if it make any difference, thanks.

By the way, if the issue disappears on other workable computers, in this case, first please double check if the problematic users and the workable users are connected to the same network, if convenient, please try to re-start the computer and then change other network environment  to see if it make any difference, thanks.

On another hand, if the problem only occurred in the user's specific Teams desktop App, please close the Teams desktop and 1. clean all the  windows credentials , 2 then clean all the Teams cache files and  see if the problem disappears.  For your reference https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026814/windows-accessing-credential-manager.

1.  Fully exit the Microsoft Teams desktop client. To do this, either right click Teams from the Icon Tray and select ‘Quit’, or run Task Manager and fully kill the process.

2.  Go to File Explorer, and type in %appdata%\Microsoft\teams

3.  Once in the directory, you’ll see a few of the following folders:

.From ‘Application Cache’, go to Cache and delete any of the files in the Cache location. “%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\application cache\cache”

.From ‘Blob_storage’, delete any files that are located in here if any. “%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\blob_storage”

.Within ‘Cache’, delete all files “%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\Cache”

.Within ‘databases’, delete all files “%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\databases”

.Within ‘GPUCache’, delete all files “%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\GPUcache”

.Within ‘IndexedDB’, delete the .db file “%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\IndexedDB”

.Within ‘Local Storage’, delete all files “%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\Local Storage”

.Lastly, from ‘tmp’, delete any file “%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\tmp”

4.Once finally done clearing, you can now restart Teams from your local desktop and check if the issue disappears.

If the suggestions above don't work, I'd like to collect some more information for the further investigation:

1. If the user configured his teams account to another computer, can he successfully sign in?
  2. The "problematic" teams account, for protecting your privacy, I will send you a Private Message (PM), you can provide it to me there.

Regards,

Oliver

-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Oliver,

deleting the files solves the problem for a few hours but then it comes back again. We are getting some Windows / Office updates installed so I will let things settle down and see if we still have the problem.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello AgriMike,

If you got any further updates or need any further help regarding to this problem, please feel free to share with me, and I am willing to help you do more research, thanks.

Regards,

Oliver

-----------------------

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We still have a small set of users who repeatedly get the problem. We clear the files as you suggested and it works for a short period of time and then it fails again. Trying to establish what is different about these users.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello AgriMike,

Thanks for postig back with patience.

For this error message, I did a lot of research about it on my side, as far as I know it is a known issue when users tried to sign in Teams and they would get an error about "loging hint duplicate" The related teams in Microsoft are aware of and investigating this issue now, based on the feedback I got, the issue does not has a specific scope ( which user or when it will occur), and the issue happens in the ADAL 1.x, then it would be upgrade to ADAL 2.3 to fix this problem. However, it is in the procesee of upgrading to ADAL 2.3 to public tenants, so you may need to wait for the fix for some more time with patience, thanks.  By the way, for waiting the future release, please suggest the affected users try to use the Teams Web App as a temporary workaround, thanks.  And i will help you to keep monitoring the next updates about this problem, and once I got any further updates, I will notify you as soon as possible.

Your understanding and patience will be highly appreicated.

Regards,

Oliver

-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Oliver,

thanks for the update. I am surprised that if this is the problem it is the same users each time? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello AgriMike,

As we talked above, I didn't get feedbak about which user or when the issue will occur, and for the affected users, the related teams mentioned they may temporarily "resolve" this problem via cleaning the cache file, this indicates the users who already encountered this problem may be still affected after that.  Anyway, I will keep monitoring the process of this issue on my side, and I will come back for the next updates, thanks.

Your understanding and patience are highly valued.

Regards,

Oliver

-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, I'm tagging in, we have the same problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We still have the problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Have you suggested the affected user to sign out the Teams Client and then re-start the computer to see the results?  If not, please have a try and then check how it goes now, thanks.

Regards,

Oliver

-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 28, 2021 Views 3,413 Applies to: