Sync Caused Document Overwrite

This morning I was assisting a co-worker with syncing her 365 online OneDrive to her desktop to access files from the file explorer.  She had not previously synced her files.

What appears to be happening is that it's reverting some files that she has shared with others to a previously saved version.  It's either happening automatically or when she opens a file from the file explorer.  For example, the last correct version of a document was saved on 9/25/2016, but it automatically opens the version saved on say 9/10/2016 and creates a new outdated version with a time stamp of today 10/12/2016.  Thankfully it seems that the version history is preserved online, but there are many documents that may have been changed to have to go back through them all.  It's unclear right now if they all were or if it's just ones that were opened, the time stamps in the cloud don't seem to be updating right away, not that there's any way to search by date modified online.  We are operating as though the majority of the files reverted and are afraid to open anything else for fear of changing it.

Has anyone run into this issue and is there an easy way to correct it without having to go back through each one individually and check the version history?  

Extremely frustrating and a waste of resources to try and correct especially for shared documents that others need to use.

ETA: I did have a call with a technician who didn't really know what caused it but narrowed down that it seemed to be shared files and explained to me how shared documents and OneDrive works, which isn't the issue.  He also said the only fix would be to go through each file.

Hi Jennifer,

Please provide the following information for our analysis:

1.Confirm if the issue happens on all synced files or just the files which were shared with others. We'd like to know if those files which were not shared are affected.

2.Let me know if you are using the legacy OneDrive for Business 2013/2016  shipped with Office installation or the new OneDrive sync client. We suggest customers use the new OneDrive sync client.

3.From what you said, it seems to be a sync issue. Please stop syncing the library -> remove the local synced folder-> resync it to see the result.

4.Please share with us the support ticket number. With it, we can check the detailed conversation to better understand this issue.  I will move this conversation to Private message to obtain the support ticket number. You can access it via this link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessages/list

Thanks,

Sky Pei

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Jennifer,

I can't find this support ticket number in our system. Did you contact Microsoft support?

Meanwhile, please confirm the information I asked, so we keep assisting you.

Thanks,

Sky Pei

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jennifer,

Is there any update?

Thanks,

Sky Pei

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jennifer,

Is there any update?

Thanks,

Sky Pei

Hello,

I apologize, I wasn't getting notifications of any activity on my question until this morning.  I will need to do some checking on some of the info you requested and reply again since it's not my account that had the issue, it was someone else and she isn't on site with me. 

I did contact Microsoft using the support function in the Office 365 Admin Portal.  Apologies- what I thought was the ticket number that I gave you is different from the number that was in the e-mail I received.  The e-mail states  xxxxxxxxxx.

From what we could tell it was not impacting files that hadn't been shared.  She literally has thousands of documents so it's difficult to determine if it impacted everything or just a some.  It appeared that the ones that were being changed were the ones that had been specifically shared with someone else.

[PII is masked by forum moderator]

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jennifer,

OK. Feel free to post back after you confirmed with the affected user. Meanwhile, you can also tell her that she can give users view NOT edit permission when she shared files with others in case the files are changed by those users accidentally

Thanks,

Sky Pei

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2023 Views 2,114 Applies to: