Sum in Math equation editor

The 'sum from to' option appears to have two formats. One in which the 'from' is below the Sigma (summation operator) and the 'to' is above  the Sigma. for the other format, the 'from' is a subscript to the Sigma and the 'to' a superscript. The first option seems to get ignored and changes to the second. There is a cheat that I can sometimes use to force the first format. but if I change any part of the formula, it quickly reverts to the second format. The cheat is messy to set up.

I would like to see this corrected and work as (apparently) designed.

If you have any text in the same paragraph as the equation box but outside that box, Word will convert the equation from "Display" format to "Inline" format. The repositioning of the limits on sums, products (large capital pi), and integrals is part of that conversion. You can see the same effect by clicking the down arrow on the right end of the equation box and clicking "Change to Inline" or "Change to Display".

A typical case is the insertion of a right-aligned equation number after what should be a display equation. If you try to tab to the right margin and insert the number, the equation becomes "Inline" and moves to the left margin. To avoid that, put the equation number inside the box and precede it with the # character. Then click the down arrow and click "Professional".

28 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, Now I see why it is  doing what I am seeing. However, I want the equation in 'display' format but not as a separate line. That could make the line a little taller, but that is OK.
Howard Morris

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, Now I see why it is  doing what I am seeing. However, I want the equation in 'display' format but not as a separate line. That could make the line a little taller, but that is OK.

I can see one way to do that, although not with the best of appearances. The key is to use a text box to "trick" Word into seeing the equation as being in a separate paragraph although it's in the middle of other text.

• Insert (or draw) a text box.
  • Click the Layout Options button to the right of the text box and click the In Line with Text item. That will place the text box at the start of the paragraph; drag it to the location where you want the equation.
  • Right-click the edge of the text box and click Format Shape. In the format pane, set the Line to "No line".
  • Click inside the text box and create (or paste from elsewhere) the equation content control.

The one thing I don't think you can fix is that the bottom of the text box will align with the baseline of the text around it, and the bottom of the equation will be slightly above that. This makes for a rather ugly setup:

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That works, but I am having a little trouble positioning where the text box goes.

After some testing, here is what works best. 1) change the equation into a picture (print screen; paste screen into Paint; Select equation and copy it to clipboard; paste it into document). 2) Select picture of equation and change its font by lowering it so it aligns properly. I am surprised there isn't a picture alignment option that centers the picture with the text line. There is a drawback that I cannot easily edit the equation, though I could always save the equations in a separate document.

Of course, going back to my original problem. It would be better for the equation editor to always to use the format I selected instead of deciding by some set of rules.

Howard Morris

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2024 Views 28,548 Applies to: