Start/Stop video in PowerPoint using the mouse

I have an embedded mp4 video in a PowerPoint 2016 presentation. I want to pause and resume the video during the presentation. The PowerPoint support documents say you can do this by clicking the mouse, but it doesn't quite work like that. Yes, when I initially click the mouse the video does pause. And if I click the mouse again before the playback controls disappear (about four seconds), the video resumes playing. However, if I click the mouse after the playback controls disappear, PowerPoint advances to the next slide.

When using a real mouse, I can move the mouse to make the playback controls appear and then click the mouse to resume playing. However, when using a remove clicker where I can't simulate mouse movement (and get the playback controls to reappear), I can't restart the video.

Note that pressing the spacebar always causes the video to stop playing and advance to the next slide. Although I'd prefer to use a remove clicker, I could get by with simple keyboard commands.

Here is Ellen Finkelstein's tutorial for how to set this up: Start a video with a remote The steps should be the same as for the PowerPoint 2013 instructions.
Author of "OOXML Hacking - Unlocking Microsoft Office's Secrets", ebook now out
John Korchok, Production Manager
production@brandwares.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

John, thanks, but I was asking how to start/stop (aka pause/resume) a video. Those instructions simply start the video which isn't what I'm seeking.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you actually try it? It's working here...

Please post any difficulties you have implementing it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you actually read my original post? First click pauses video. Second click restarts video **IF** done within four seconds (when the play control bar is still displayed). If you pause it, wait more than four seconds (so the play control bar disappears), and click again, it advances to the next page.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For each click you expect to make on a video, you need to add another animation. First a pause, then a play, then a pause, then a play, etc. After the last animation runs, clicking again moves you to the next slide. Your final Animation Pane should look something like this:

If you're not able to make this work on your computer, an alternative approach is to make action buttons that remain on-screen permanently. Then you don't have to worry about the media controller disappearing. This tutorial from Ellen Finkelstein shows you how: Control movies with buttons It's an old tutorial, Action Buttons are now found on the Insert>Shapes menu at the very bottom.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 6, 2024 Views 7,001 Applies to: