Spill is hijacking my formulas - how to disable it?

So as of this evening I am seeing Spill taking over my formulas, as in no matter what I do if I have a column of consecutive formulas Spill will fill the next cell below as soon as I complete a formula in the cell above.

This is an issue as I'm trying to use different formulas as I'm progressing down the column but Spill is not letting me. If I try to delete the auto filled formula, there is actually nothing to delete, it's a phantom formula, formula bar syntax is greyed out and the formula keeps showing up.

If I try to delete a formula above I get an error #spill or something.

Temporary workaround is to move each next formula to one column to the right (imagine staircase going from top left to bottom right) which still fills the cell below but at least I am able to change the formula as I need it in each new row.

I would be much obliged if someone could advise me on how to disable this hijacking behavior. It's ridiculous and coming out of left field.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I pay good money for O365, and have been using it in situ (ie. real life - in the field - I'm the person Excel's product team user stories is supposed to be built for).

It irritates me no end when they push new features by making them default and burying the off-switch into a checkbox that you have to google the steps deactivate. MS does this often, and it's simply the height of arrogance.

Spill is the latest and really really bad UX.

The need for Spill is an edge case. It's very rare you're going to want excel to forcefully autocomplete formulas, and even more rare that you will want to have this a default. Worse still, what is Spill actually achieving? saving you 2 seconds of a Ctl+Shift+arrow then a Ctl+V !!!!.. seriously!!

But even where there's strong support for a feature, good UX NEVER invisibly defaults new behaviours!!!

I would strongly strongly suggest to MS, when they want to introduce new features, to either provide a once-off popup to notify (with a checkbox if user wants it defaulted), or as part of ongoing usage in the format pop-up that shows in the bottom right of a newly pasted section .... something like this.. 

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I agree with these forced (dis)"improvements" becoming defaults, in particular the #Spill feature/error.

BUT, this is the wrong place to make this complaint / observation.  You have to submit it as a "Feedback" to MS. You can also post a copy of the link to it for other people to easily find the feedback and vote for it.

(Feedback Hub) **********************
Send Feedback to MS Developers

“Official” MS does not pay much attention to this forum. However, you now can send your complaints and feature requests directly to MS developers and managers using one of the 4 possible (parallel) “Feedback” mechanisms described in this link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/send-feedback-to-ms-developers/506e7654-8ced-405b-911e-c58d8f253069

Please post a share link to your feedback, back here, so other people who find your question here will be able to vote for your feedback and add their comments to it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2020 Views 6,436 Applies to: