Speak feature in word has stopped working

In the past, if I highlighted text and clicked the speak icon, the text would be spoken aloud by the computer.

Now when I highlight text and click the speak icon, the speak feature turns off instead of the text being spoken. 

How do I make this work and get it to read the text aloud?

Hi eustacewrt,

There’s a possibility that a conflict has occurred that’s why the Speak feature in Word has stopped working. Can you confirm if there were any changes that were made to your account that may have caused this to happen?

In the meantime, I’d recommend that you try the following methods to resolve your concern:

If the issue doesn't persist while on safe mode, you can use the instructions below to identify which add-in is causing it to happen:

1. Click File > Option > Add-ins, then click Go in the Manage: COM Add-ins.
  2. Clear the checkbox if you'll see any add-ins, then disable them.
  3. Close the Word and relaunch it after.
  4. Check if you'll still get the same behavior.

• Install an Office update. Make sure that you have the latest Office version. . Check the steps here.
  • Run a repair for Office apps. This is usually being performed if an app isn’t working accordingly as it should be. See this: Repair an Office application

Please respond to this thread to let me know how the issue progresses. Similarly, if you have more questions, please inform me by replying to this post.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 22, 2020 Views 164 Applies to: