Spacing in a muliti-level list not showing as defined in the list

I have created a multi-level list that shows that the spacing is all set up correctly when you look at it many differennt ways: in the multi-level list function, in the style reveal pane, and just in the paragraph formatting are. To be clear, the list was set up using multi-level list.

In the document, however, very clearly, several of the list levels the number is out of alignment. It appears in those specific lines, the number and period appears before the set indentation instead of after - which is how the rest of the list works.

Margins are the same as the correct lines, I can see no discernible difference that would cause these 3 out of 9 lines to behave this way, but it is very noticeable. I have moved the list to a new document a few times and nothing changes.

Any thoughts?

Karen

Answer
Answer

I took a look at your file. If you had followed Shauna's method, there would be a custom list style in your document. There isn't one. Here's what a custom list style looks like:

The result:

Here's a copy of your document with a new list style called "Numbering". If you use the Organizer to copy these styles back to your working document, please ensure you copy Numbering as well.

Author of "OOXML Hacking - Unlocking Microsoft Office's Secrets", ebook now out
John Korchok, Production Manager
production@brandwares.com

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Again, they were all set after I created a new list using the Define New Multilevel List dialog. If you go back to the screenshot I sent and see that 3 of the list levles are out of kilter with what they are set to. That has been the question from the beginning. What is happening there, I'm starting to get that no one here knows.

You can look at the document. Levels 3, 6, and 9, the spacing between the number and the text is not correct. It is different than the setting.

Sorry. Edited to say, that I want what is in the settings to be what appears on the screen. Currently, it doesn't.

The numbers/letters there are aligning to the full stop following the number rather than to the left edge of the number. While this is often how I would like it, I have no explanation.

I can tell you that it is possible to set up numbering the way you seem to want it.

Here is a screenshot with 9 custom styles.

Here is a temporary link to the document with the styles.

I see no differences in the Define New MultiLevel List dialog between how your document is set up and mine. However, John is correct that you did not have a List Style defined.

Here is a temporary link to your document with my custom style and list style applied.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 9, 2024 Views 69 Applies to: