sort list with formula removing duplicates and empties

Hi gang,

I am stuck on a worksheet that just won't cooperate.  I have a huge workbook with tabs for employee entry each week.  I want a tab each for monthly/quarterly reporting.  On each weekly worksheet, the manager enters each employees name along with some other data.  I want the monthly report to dynamically generate with all of the employees that have worked that 5-week period (no need to worry about 4 vs 5 week months for my purposes).

In my first attempt, I set up a data worksheet where I pull in the list of each week's employees, and I want to de-duplicate and alphabetize that list.  I can't quite work out the arrays, and hope maybe someone out there could either fix up my formulas (formulae??) or present me with a new one.  I'm avoiding VB because 1) I don't know if well enough to support it and 2) this thing will be out of my hands and caretaking very soon and I want it fairly easy to maintain.

I can't figure out how the new-ish Communities lets you upload a page, so here's the quick and dirty paste of what my test data looks like right now, columns A (range named "names"), B, and C:

Jan names filter alpha
Beth Beth Annette
Jim Jim Annette
Roger Roger Beth
Joe Joe Bill
Jeremy Jeremy Jeremy
Bill Bill Jim
Annette Annette Joe
0 0 Roger
0 #N/A  
Beth #N/A  
Roger #N/A  
Jeremy #N/A  
Bill #N/A  
0 #N/A  
0 #N/A  
0 #N/A  
Jim #N/A  
Bill #N/A  
Annette #N/A  
joe #N/A  
0 #N/A  
0 #N/A  

Column B has the array (with ctrl-shift-enter) in is of:

=(INDEX(names,MATCH(0,COUNTIF(B$1:$B1,names)+IF(COUNTIF(names,names)>=1,0,1),0)))

and Column C has:

=IF(ISNA(INDEX($B$2:$B$23, MATCH(SMALL(COUNTIF($B$2:$B$23, "<"&$B$2:$B$23), ROW(1:1)), COUNTIF($B$2:$B$23, "<"&$B$2:$B$23), 0))),"",(INDEX($B$2:$B$23, MATCH(SMALL(COUNTIF($B$2:$B$23, "<"&$B$2:$B$23), ROW(1:1)), COUNTIF($B$2:$B$23, "<"&$B$2:$B$23), 0)))).

You can see that Column C is giving me duplicate names.  And when I copy these formulas in to my larger worksheet, they give me somehwat stranger data still.

Any thoughts?  Thanks so much!!

-beth

Answer
Answer

Here's another approach, using a helper column.

With your sample data in A1:A23

This regular formula returns a form of relative ranking

B2: =IF(AND(ISTEXT(A2),MATCH(A2,$A$2:$A$23,0)=(ROW()-1)),COUNTIF($A$2:$A$23,">"&A2),"")

This regular formula begins the list of sorted names

C2: =IF(ROWS($2:2)<=COUNT($B$2:$B$23),INDEX($A:$A,MATCH(SMALL($B$2:$B$23,COUNT($B$2:$B$23)+1-ROWS($2:2)),$B$2:$B$23,0)+1),"")

Copy both formulas down through Row_23.

The end results will be:

Annette
Beth
Bill
Jeremy
Jim
Joe
Roger

Regards,

Ron Coderre
Former Microsoft MVP - Excel

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 7,408 Applies to: