Something new in styles pane?

Using Word 2016, has something changed which could explain why any variations to my Heading styles (or any style) are now shown in Calibri font with the number removed? It used to appear the same as the original style (including leading number), with a + sign to indicate a change (as well as the actual change, e.g. if I changed it to bold, it would display as bold, if it was red, it would appear red. Now all I get is a line saying Heading 2 + Red).

Our Normal style has been modified to Trebuchet, and I always set the Styles Pane to show All Styles, sorted alphabetically, with all 3 options of "select formatting to show as styles" ticked.

I do not enjoy this new way of displaying the styles. Would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to put it back!

Question Info

Last updated June 12, 2019 Views 51 Applies to:

Hi Kyla,

Here is a link on managing styles that should help.

Managing Word Styles by Suzanne Barnhill, MVP

There have been changes to the Styles Pane, but I'm not sure they are the ones you mention. The spacing has changed and it can no longer be displayed as multiple columns. 

This forum is a user-to-user support forum. I am a fellow user. 

I hope this information helps.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or require further help. You can ask for more help by replying to this post (Reply button below).

Regards

Please mark helpful or answered as appropriate to help other users.

Charles Kenyon
Attorney at Law
Madison, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

http://addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

What happens if you check the box for preview at the bottom of the pane?
(I also recommend checking the box to disable linked styles.)

You need to check the boxes to show formatting as styles if you really want to see direct formatting in your pane.

I normally do not include direct formatting so had not noticed this change. In checking, I see what you mean about the change. It is a change.

Charles Kenyon
Attorney at Law
Madison, Wisconsin

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Please don't shoot the messenger! There is no user option to return this to the way it was. It cannot be changed using macros.

I am a fellow user trying to help you use the Office that is rather than the one that should be. The place to give feedback to them is through the feedback mechanism under File or UserVoice.

The people who can make changes to Word seldom, if ever, read anything that is posted in this help forum.

You can use the Feedback mechanism in Office or post directly to UserVoice to let developers know what you want.
UserVoice Word for Windows

I would guess that this happened at the same time they changed the spacing and ability to use multi-column format for the pane.

Here are two screenshots showing how it used to be.

Charles Kenyon
Attorney at Law
Madison, Wisconsin

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Charles, I guess I will have to do that. How disappointing that they took away a feature that was so useful! (Interestingly enough, I can still expand my styles pane to see 2 columns, but I never used that).

Sorry this didn't help.

It appears that the font used in the Styles pane is influenced by the theme and its variant chosen in the Design ribbon. The theme changes what fonts are used for the "+Body" and "+Heading", as Charles explains at http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm#Themes.  If you modified your Normal style to use a specific font such as Trebuchet, then text with that style is immune to changes of theme fonts -- but the Styles pane continues to use them. Presumably your current theme uses Calibri for both +Body and +Heading.

You can choose a theme that uses Trebuchet (or some other font) as the +Body font instead of Calibri. Alternatively, you can use the Manage Styles > Default dialog to select a particular font as the default instead of +Body, so the styles and the Styles pane will be independent of the theme.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

OK. The two or more columns can be very handy when you are not doing the preview. It fits a lot of styles.

Charles Kenyon
Attorney at Law
Madison, Wisconsin

Sorry this didn't help.