Solution: Excel OART.DLL crashes when trying to format chart axis

FYI: there are quite a lot of queries on the internet about Excel crashes (also reported by the Event Viewer as caused by OART.DLL) when trying to format a chart's axis e.g. via context menu.

Here's a solution that worked for me (in my case: Excel2010 x64 on Windows10 Home x64 with a spreadsheet containing a xy scatter chart and x axis representing time/date values):

Ensure that Windows => PC Settings => Date & Time => Region => Languages **AND** Windows => Control Panel => Region => Formats **AND** Excel => Options => Language have consistent non-contradictory values when you have language packs installed. Ensure same uniqueness for time/date default formats.

When adapting any values to a consistent state, it's probably best to reboot Windows / restart Excel.

As I've spent hours in searching for a solution to those CDTs, and as Internet searches have not returned a functional fix, I hope this hint will help others searching in vain as I did before troubled by the same problem.

Cheers - Robert

Discussion Info

Last updated December 24, 2019 Views 81 Applies to: Have the experts at Excelchat fix your formulas for free. See how.