Skype web app plug-in for Safari on MacBook Pro fails to install

For about the last week or two, I am unable to go to Skype meetings from Safari with the Skype for Business web app on my MacBook Pro. It keeps asking me to download the Skype for Business plug-in, which I’ve repeatedly done or should I say tried to do. But it has failed every time. It keeps trying to install it in my home folder instead of my Safari Plug-in location, and the installer will not allow me to change the location to where it needs to be for it to actually install and then work to enable me to join the meetings. 

As I say, this has only happened in the last week or two.  Before that, I never had any trouble joining any of the Skype meetings via the Skype for Business web app.  I attend several Skype meetings through the month, so this is crippling my ability to participate.    Do you have any idea how I could get this resolved?  FYI: I’m not interested in using another browser, as I am quite happy with Safari, and I don’t like to clutter my computer or devices with things I don’t use.
Answer
Answer

Hi Ron11 and others customers who are still encountering the issue,

Thank you for your detailed information for the issue and the workaround. Since the issue has now been confirmed with the relevance of recent changes in Safari, it’s recommended to keep working with Apple support to deal with the issue if the workaround doesn’t help. And for any other customers who are seeing this post, please refer to Ron11's workaround to temporarily deal with the issue. Thank you again for your important information and effort for addressing the issue, hopefully it can be resolved soon.

Regards,

Leo

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Well, I finally have found a solution!  After the last try, I was a bit discouraged, but I kept on researching the problem with Skype meetings on my MacBook Pro.  

I had understood that without upgrading to a much more expensive Office 365 subscription, i would not be able to download or use the Skype for Business app on my Macbook Pro.  But i continued researching and searching, and i finally found that yes, i would be able to download rge Skype for Business app on my Macbook Pro.  Here is the webpage where you will find the download: 

https://products.office.com/en-us/skype-for-business/download-app?tab=tabs-3#Mac 

From here, i downloaded it, then installed it, put it in my Dock, and tonight i participated in 3 of my normal Skype meetings using the app. 

Finally!  Neither Apple, Microsoft, or my tech support could solve it, but i finally have success after being unable to participate in my meetings for over a month!  Yay! 

58 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 12, 2024 Views 21,702 Applies to: