Skype for Business for MAC Does not Requests Access to Microphone

After installing Skype for Business on Mojave, the application does not request access to the Microphone. Audio Calls cannot be done. In the Systems Setting under Privacy, Camera is checked, but Microphone does not show up. I've seen several posts in websites indicating that there is a missing record in the TC.db internal database for MACOs in order to provide access to the microphone. Tried a clean uninstall and reinstall and doesn't work.

Hi Gonclaves,

Glad you post your concern to the community and we are more than happy to help you.

Since you have already did some research, we just need to confirm with you about the following workaround, it might work because some customers thought it was helpful to them:

1. Open Terminal
  2. Make a backup copy of the ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db file
  3. Open the database by giving command: sudo sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db
  4. Provide your password when requested
  5. Within sqlite3For Skype for Business audio fix type in command:
    INSERT or REPLACE INTO access VALUES('kTCCServiceMicrophone','com.microsoft.SkypeForBusiness',0,1,1,NULL,NULL,NULL,'UNUSED',NULL,0,1541440109);
  6. Type .exit to exit the sqlite3
  7. Skype for Business should be visible in the  Security & Privacy preferences Privacy-Microphone view

You could refer more details on this thread.  

If the above method does not work for you, could we first confirm with you this issue only occurred to skype for business, for example, on the normal skype, there is still no request access to microphone?

For the further updates, Please let us know as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,

George

------------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi George thanks, this does not work now with Mojave(actually since Sierra). Apart from TCC.db being protected now with SIP(System Integrity Protection) the only way to change the TCC.db file is with an MDM Profile. Tried your workaround but I always get an error since sqlite3 cannot open the database.

I managed to get it working with another workaround, copied a TCC.db file from another Mac where Skype is working and now I got access to Microphone.

This is a Skype bug, should be fixed in an upcoming release.

Thanks

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Goncalves,

Thank you so much for sharing your workaround and experience with us, we would like to recap this case so that people will benefit from this case.

Symptom: Skype for business cannot detect the request to the microphone on Mac with Mojave OS.

Cause: It might be that the Info.plist file within the Skype for Business.app -package does not include the dialog key NSMicrophoneUsageDescription which seems to cause the security subsystem to refuse the request from the application.

Solution: Temporarily may copy a TCC.db file from another Mac.

Kind Regards,

George

------------------------

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The Solution (Solution: Temporarily may copy a TCC.db file from another Mac.) 

Still leads to the same issue.  So not a solution....

Also this issue has been around since November 2018 (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/skype-for-business-does-not-request-microphone/83eddd7b-478a-46d8-8403-769978e6c7f9)

- how many upcoming releases are needed before its fixed? quite a few people use macs these days....

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually, you can give Terminal app "full disk access," allowing Terminal app to edit TCC.db file.

Go to Security & Privacy control panel > Privacy tab > Full Disk Aceess. After unlocking the control panel with your admin password, click on the "+" button, add Terminal app to the list, and click the check mark.

I cannot believe that they have not addressed this serious bug in Skype for Business for more than one year!

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sola_ATS,

We fairly understand your concern, we have contacted with the related team and engineers are currently working on this issue. We could feel this will bring such inconvenience to our customer, we will inform you once the issue is being fixed, thank you so much for the patience and cooperation.

We will keep monitoring this issue and keep updating its status. 

Thank you again for posting your concern to the community.

Kind Regards,

George

------------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Split from this thread.

Can Skype just effing fix this??? I've been seeing posts for this since 2018. I just had to give a presentation in sign language bc no one could hear me.  I can't even talk to anyone at Skype because I don't hold the license for Skype Business, the institution I work for does.  this was directed to my institution's tech support and they can't fix it. **** SKYPE!!!??? 

I could open terminal and i can copy-paste some code, but this has gotten far far far too complicated. 

seriously. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Denise Woodall,

Thank you for the reply and your patience.

We fairly understand your concern and we have seen many customers reported the same error for the skype business mic not working for macOS Mojave 10.14.6. Currently the related developed team is working on this issue and we could feel this will bring inconvenience to you and hope you could understand.

We will monitor the process and keep updating for this issue.

Your cooperation is highly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

George

------------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I have the exact same issue here. I just installed the latest version released yesterday the the problem still persist. 

Please, make Skype for business work without having to call the IT helpdesk for each installation. 

Thanks.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. This is really ridiculous..

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 16, 2023 Views 5,541 Applies to: