Skype for Business 2016 crashing - KB4018326 April 3, 2018

After the update KB4018326 was applied to my Windows 10 1709 Office 2016 ProPlus (MSI volume installation) workstation, Skype for Business is crashing on startup.  The "Windows Security Skype for Business" sign-in window does not display.  It appears as if Skype for Business crashes immediately upon trying to display that login window.  Interestingly enough as a workaround I am able to open Outlook 2016 and sign-in using the same "Windows Security" login window.  After doing that Skype for Business will open and load just fine.  

If I uninstall this update the issue is not present.  

I'm not sure where to post this, however I wanted to bring it Microsoft's attention.  

*edit:

Event logs report: 

Application Error - Event ID 1000 - Faulting application name: lync.exe and Faulting module name:  KERNALBASE.dll

Answer
Answer

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your response. Please try to clean the cache of Skype for Business to see if it works:

1. Please right click the Windows icon and open the Run bar.
  2. Then type in: %localappdata%\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync
  3. Delete the sip profile folder. 
  4. Go into the Tracing folder, delete all files, but not the folders.

Best regards,

Coldwell

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Hi Jason,

Thanks for your post. According to your description, after updating KB4018326 for your Office 2016 product, if you launch Skype for Business, it will crash before pop out sign-in windows. But when you revert back to the original version, it works well. In this case, we suggest you try to repair the Office client by following steps:

1. Open Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program under Programs.
3. Right-Click your installed Office product (such as “Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016”) and click Change.
4. Choose Quick Repair and then click Repair.
5. Restart your computer after the repair process is complete.
6. If the issue still occurs, please repeat the steps above and choose Online Repair to give it a shot.

Besides, you can try to launch Skype for Business in safe mode to check if it can work well:

1. Open the Run command dialog (Simultaneously press Windows logo and R keys on your keyboard).
2. Type “Lync /safe” (be sure to add a space between “Lync” and” /safe”).
3. Click OK to open Skype for Business in safe mode.

Meanwhile, you can try performing a clean boot in Windows to check if it works. This will help to eliminate whether the issue is caused by software conflicts.

If the issue persists, to further look into it, we need to collect some information:

1. Does this issue occur to other members in your organization?
2. After you use the workaround to start Skype for Business by Outlook, are you able to use it normally without any problem?
3. Could you please provide us the detailed version information with build number of your Windows 10 system and Skype for Business client(Click the triangle icon next to the gear icon > select Help > About Skype for Business)?

Regards,
Jay

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 13,902 Applies to: