Sharing PPT files between Windows PC and Mac?

I contract with a company that is making PowerPoint available to their Mac users. Previously it was only available to people running Windows on a PC machine and if Microsoft apps were needed, the individual would use Parallels Virtual Windows which mostly worked out great.

It's always been discouraged to share (i.e. several people sharing a file back and forth and making their own changes to it) PowerPoint files between Windows users and Mac users because they are two different apps, the features differ, and there can be cross-platform compatibility issues with regard to working on slides and sometimes merely viewing slides created on a different platform. Some of the things I used to run into a lot working on both platforms were:

- Fonts problems

- Images not being consistent in placement and size or sometimes just not showing up when slides are created on a Windows machines and opened on a Mac

- Slide masters not functioning the same when shared back and forth

- Complicated animations often don't translate from one platform to another

- Slideshows might not view the same between platforms, for example if you create it on Windows and try to show it at a meeting on a Mac

- Template building is different between apps

- You can't add templates to individual libraries across the entire firm on a Mac the way you can in a Windows environment

- Can YOU think of any more potential problems?

Does anyone know if the apps on Windows and Mac have become more seamless or are there still a lot of issues? I recall back about 5 years ago Microsoft had two different teams of developers and the app was treated as basically two different apps on Windows and Mac. Unless you are working with very simple slides of text bullets, I always thought it was a bad idea to share and I'm wondering if it's gotten any better or about the same. Do you think it's a bad idea or not? Also curious if anyone here works in IT for a firm where it's on both platforms and if it works ok. Thank you!

Answer
Answer

I work daily on both platforms. For any file created under any application on any operating system, the best practice is to create and test the file in the same version and environment where it will be used.

Font problems often are responsible, mainly because PowerPoint will display an expected typeface in the font dropdown even when it is not installed. It's long overdue for Microsoft to add a pop-up that mentions that an expected font is not present on the computer. This is likely the issue behind your points #2, 3 and 5 as well.

Some of the other issues, like animations, are a problem when creating a presentation on a newer version of the application than is used for showing it.

PowerPoint 2011 was quite different from PowerPoint 2010, but since the release of the 2016 versions, the differences have gotten much smaller. But don't skip that testing!

Author of "OOXML Hacking - Unlocking Microsoft Office's Secrets", ebook now out
John Korchok, Production Manager
production@brandwares.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 11, 2024 Views 1,023 Applies to: