Sharepoint Online profile photos not syncing with outlook, delve, skype etc

Hello, we are having a problem with sharepoint not syncing profile pics from the rest of the office365 services.  When a user adds or updates their office 365 pic through outlook.com it syncs across skype, delve and other office365 services except sharepoint online.  I have waited over 3 days for the sync to happen, as I've read it could take up to 72 hours, but nothing has updated.  I have gone into the sharepoint admin page and set a user's "picture exchange sync state" to 1.  I even tried setting it to 0 first, saved and went back in to set it to 1.  No change.

Please help.

Thanks,

Rob

|

Hi biffbyun, 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused by this issue. Based on your description, you can see the picture in Delve, Skype and other Office 365 service. And you upload the picture in Outlook, it will sync to SharePoint Online eventually. If you already waited for 72 hours and still can’t see picture in SharePoint, we suggest you try to upload this picture again and see the result.

Please contact us if you still has this issue.

Regards,

Ivy

--------------------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi biffbyun, 

Sorry for the inconvenience caused by this issue. Based on your description, you can see the picture in Delve, Skype and other Office 365 service. And you upload the picture in Outlook, it will sync to SharePoint Online eventually. If you already waited for 72 hours and still can’t see picture in SharePoint, we suggest you try to upload this picture again and see the result.

Please contact us if you still has this issue.

Regards,

Ivy

To be clear this is happening with all users.  I have tried this with multiple users and waited 72 hours.  You want me to try this again and wait another 72 hours to see if works even though nothing has changed?  Are there any other suggestions in the meantime?

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rob,

Sorry for the inconvenience the issue causes. Ivy has transferred the thread to me, and I have checked all the conversation history between you and Ivy carefully. I’m glad to help you, and I will keep following the thread for you.

For this case, you mentioned that you changed the photo from outlook.com, so, I assume you have the Exchange Online license assigned. If so, refer to Information about profile picture synchronization in Office 365, generally, SharePoint Online user photo is synced from Exchange Online if the user has Exchange Online license. And the maximum sync time is 24 hours. As you have waited for more than 72 hours, it seems the user profile photo synchronization is stuck when SharePoint Online wants to update photo from Exchange Online.

For the sync stuck issue, changing user photo directly from SharePoint Online user profile properties may get rid of the stuck issue sometimes. To try this, you can follow the steps below to change for one user account first to see the result.

1.       Go to SharePoint admin center > Classic features > User Profiles and click open > People > Manage User Profiles (Or you can directly go to this page via the URL: https://contoso-admin.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/TenantProfileAdmin/ProfMngr.aspx. Please change “contoso” to your own domain name.)

2.       In “Find profiles”, type your own account alias and click “find” > select the account name in the list and click the drop down arrow icon > edit my profile

3.       Check your “Picture” property, is it showing the correct photo? Whether it shows the correct photo or not, click “change your photo” and follow the rest steps to re-upload the photo. Then wait for no more than 24 hours to see the result. 

If the steps above works, as an admin, you can follow the steps below to let all your end users change by themselves directly in user properties.

1.       Go to SharePoint admin center > Classic features > User Profiles and click open > People > Manage User Properties (Or you can directly go to this page via the URL: https://contoso-admin.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/TenantProfileAdmin/MgrProperty.aspx. Please change “contoso” to your own domain name.)

2.       Select the Property Name called “Picture” > edit > tick the option “Allow users to edit values for this property” and “show in the profile properties section of the user’s profile page” and “show on the edit details page”

After settings above, all end users can do the steps below to refresh property:

1.       Go to Delve > Update profile > click “How can I add additional information?” > click “here” text inside the sentence “You can add more information, such as assistant here.” (Or you can let them access this page directly with this URL: https://contoso-my.sharepoint.com//_layouts/15/editprofile.aspx )

2.       In “Basic Information” tab, click “change your photo” beside the “Picture” property > re-upload the picture and wait for no more than 24 hours to see the result)

If the issue persists after you tried the ways above, there must be something handled from the back end from server side. In this scenario, we would like to suggest you create a support ticket via Office 365 Admin center > support. Although we really want to help you to fix the issue till the end, only that support team has the escalate channel for such issue needing a fix from back end from server side. We appreciate your understanding if you have to do that for this case, but this is the most efficient way to fix this sync stuck issue for your tenant.

You can post back any updates, we will keep following this thread for you.

Best Regards,

Rena

-----------------------
* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps, as it will be beneficial to more community members reading here.

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rena, I'm very familiar with this procedure.  So when I change the photo under the user profile, I can see the photo updated in sharepoint immediately.  However it never syncs with the outlook photo.  I used a stock company logo as the photo and uploaded it to the user profile in the sharepoint admin page.  It showed up immediately in sharepoint under the user's profile, however, it's not syncing.  I had the user change their photo on outlook.com and waited a few days.  The update made it to other office365 services such as delve, skype and outlook, but would not overwrite the sharepoint stock photo that I uploaded.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Msft has never been very good at anything involving the internet - it's simply not in their dna. In order for the sync process to be effective, Msft has to run a FULL CRAWL which they never do unless you request it via a service request. So I'd try that.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Any updates with this?  

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Rena, this did not work for us.  Any other advise for this issue?

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rob,

I’m sorry for the late response as my holidays. Thanks for your updated information and I’m appreciate your patience to wait for my reply.

Based on your descriptions, it seems the user photos can show up if you change directly via SharePoint user properties. If so, at least, we find this workaround to make it work before the user photo sync issue fixed.

Now the root cause is the sync process from Exchange to SharePoint. As there’s nothing the admin can control to refresh or fix the sync process, there must be something to be checked from back end. I really want to help you till the end, however, in this scenario, I would suggest you seek help from Office 365 Admin Center > Support to create a service ticket, as only that support team has the escalation channel for such case that needed to check from back end. And this is the most efficient way to handle the case you have. To save your time, I make the summary for you below, you can use this SOAP to report the issue to them:

S: (Subjective)

==========

SharePoint Online can’t sync user profile photo from Exchange.

O: (Objective) [Environment]

===================

The issue affects all users in the whole tenant.

The users have Exchange Online license.

Tenant domain information: XXXX.COM

A: (Assessment)

===================

Change the user photo directly from SharePoint Online user property can make the photo show up in SharePoint Online immediately. However, changing photo from Delve/Outlook Online can’t sync the photo to SharePoint Online to take effect.

Refer to Information about profile picture synchronization in Office 365, generally, SharePoint Online user photo is synced from Exchange Online if the user has Exchange Online license. And the maximum sync time is 24 hours. As we have waited for more than 72 hours, it seems the user profile photo synchronization is stuck when SharePoint Online wants to update photo from Exchange Online.

P(Plan)

====================

Please help to check from the back end from the server side for deep investigation.

You can post back any time if you meet any problems when you contact them and I will keep monitoring this thread for you.

Best Regards,

Rena

-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2021 Views 5,002 Applies to: