SharePoint Online: Impact of limiting the Versioning count for library

Hi Team,

Can we restrict a library version count to 50 ? I noticed minimum value should be 100. please confirm that.

Also If we set the library version count to 100, if we have an existing file which has already existing version of 300, will all the 300 versions will be maintained or some versions will be deleted.

Also if we update the file version more than 100, will it throw any error as the library overall version count is set to 100.

please clarify.

Thanks,

Raj

Answer
Answer

Hi Raj,

Welcome to Microsoft Forum and hope my test results could offer some help on your concerns.

1.Yes, currently the minimum number of major versions is 100 and there will pop out an error window giving you the available range. For the reference: Enable and configure versioning for a list or library - SharePoint (microsoft.com)

2.If the set number for the library version is changed from 300 to 100, the existing files which used to have the versions of 300 will be deleted to 100 and the older versions like 1.0 to 200.0 will be deleted and versions from 201.0 to 300.0 will be kept to meet the new rules on this library. Just like when you do another edition, the version history will keep versions from 202.0 to 301.0.

Hence, make sure to avoid any possible data loss before changing the number of version history. Also if you need some files to keep a larger version history but still want to set a smaller number in this library, a workaround I would recommend is to move some important files to another new library to keep some more data.

3.For the third concern, we are sorry to say the version history of a file is counted only after it is uploaded to a SharePoint site or OneDrive for the first time. The versions of a file saved in A site will no longer exist if it is uploaded to B site from a local/offline environment. Hope the section of When versions are created from this reference could offer a little help on this concern: How versioning works in lists and libraries - SharePoint (microsoft.com)

Do let me know if my explanation is not that clear to you or I could do better on this scenario, I will try my best to offer any help as I can.

Best Regards,

Mia

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 1,228 Applies to: