SharePoint Online giving "404 Not Found" error message when I try opening the root site in SharePoint

When I navigate to https://mydomain.sharepoint.com, I get a 404 NOT FOUND error message. I have three site collectors that are still working, so the structure is still there, but for some reason the root page is gone.

Background: Yesterday, I wanted to wipe my entire SharePoint Online and start from scratch since we have never put the site into production. As I poked around in the latest GUI, I found a place in settings that seemed like it would delete it. Afterwards, the main page was gone. I looked in the recycle bin but it was empty. 

Does anyone have any idea how to restore the root page of the SharePoint site? 

btw, it was the default page that comes with SharePoint online. No customization had been done.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Sorry for the trouble caused at your end.

First, we would like to make you aware of spam post which you should’ve received an email saying to call the number. Please don’t call to that number which is a spam and we also reported spam poster to the Forum Community.

Per your description, we understand you are encountering “404 NOT FOUND” error when you try to access the https://domainname.sharepoint.com

In this scenario, to avoid misunderstanding I would like to confirm whether you can access SharePoint Online Home page? i.e. Office 365 Home page and clicking on SharePoint icon.

If yes, then we can assume the Home page of SharePoint Online root site is deleted because we can’t delete the SharePoint Root site.

In this scenario, try the following steps and check the outcome:

Access the following URL in the browser: https://domainname.sharepoint.com/SitePages (Replace the domain name with your domain name)> Click on the Site Contents in the top navigation bar> Recycle bin> And check whether there is Home.aspx> If yes, please select and restore it. (After restoring, you should be able to access the root site without any problem)

If there is no page in the Recycle-bin, you can go back to the Pages Library and create new page. After creating a new page, make the new page as homepage.

Please give a try and share us the result. Appreciate your understanding and stay safe 😊

Best Regards,

Chitrahaas

-----------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Once complete conversation about this topic, kindly Mark and Vote any replies to benefit others reading this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your reply Chitrahaas!

I can access the SharePoint Online Home page by going to Office 365 Home page and clicking on the SharePoint icon. 

I then went to https://domainname.sharepoint.com/SitePages with my domain and I still get the 404 NOT FOUND error. Therefore, I am unable to look int he recycle bin.

How do I go about accessing the Pages Library? I am familiar with SharePoint 2010, but have just started to use SharePoint Online.

Thanks in advance for  your support!

Brian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear the situation at your end.

URL you have tried i.e. https://domainname.sharepoint.com/SitePages is to access the Pages Library but as you got the same error message, as far as I know this will be encountered when the whole SharePoint site is deleted. Point to noted is, as the site we’re referring is the root site of SharePoint Online it can’t be deleted. However, let’s verify whether the site is listed in the SharePoint admin center. So, please go to the SharePoint new admin center and check whether the root site is listed in the Active sites are not.

Moreover, out of curiosity can you please give a try by accessing the root site in the InPrivate browser and check whether there is any positive result?

Thanks for your patience!!

Chitrahaas

-----------------------
* Once complete conversation about this topic, kindly Mark and Vote any replies to benefit others reading this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Brian,

Please feel to post back the requested information and if there is any update, feel free to share with us.

Thanks,

Chitrahaas

-----------------------

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2022 Views 1,465 Applies to: