SharePoint Limited Access

hi,

why does limited access occurred when someone sent or request invitation to access the site.

scenario is,

1. i created a sub-site and i include  sp.user (sample user) to the owner group "full control" permission.

2. then i uploaded a file (excel file)  on the document library.

3. i checked the permission of sp.user it was good and fine (full control permission).

4. next is, someone like to access my site but they don't have permission so they sent a request to access the site. ( i didn't yet approve or reject the request).

5. when i checked again the permission of sp.user the result is (full control, limited access).

i'm just wondering why limited access occur on the user permission, please explain the reason why it was happened and how can we prevent it.

thanks

regards,

antoinne

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Antoinne,

To better understanding the situation and to help us reproduce it, could you share more details about this?
1. Did you create the sub-site under the default team site (domain.sharepoint.com)?

2. When you say "3. I checked the permission of sp.user...", may I know whether you checked this via clicking Check Permissions in Site permissions page? If not, what about checking it this way?

3. Is the user in step 4 an internal user or an external user?

About Limited Access, here're some detailed descriptions: The Limited Access permission level is unusual. It enables a user or group to browse to a site page or library to access a specific content item. Typically, the user was given access to a single item in a list or library, but does not have permission to open or edit any other items in the library. The Limited Access permission level includes all the permissions that the user must have to access the required item.

You cannot assign Limited Access permission level directly to a user or group. Instead, you assign appropriate permission to the single item, and then SharePoint automatically assigns Limited Access to other required locations.
For your reference: Default Permission Levels.

Regards,
James

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Antoinne,

Could you share the information above if the issue persists?

Thanks,

James

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

James, It would be helpful if you could just provide a complete explanation of what limited access means and why it occurs. Msft just throws this into the mix with no clear or apparent rationale. And it's not just related to sharing content - I've seen it spread across lists for no reason.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Please see my answer below.

1. Did you create the sub-site under the default team site (domain.sharepoint.com)?

• Yes it was under on our domain + sharepoint.com

2. When you say "3. I checked the permission of sp.user...", may I know whether you checked this via clicking Check Permissions in Site permissions page? If not, what about checking it this way?

• I just go to the setting - site settings - site permission - then check permission.

3. Is the user in step 4 an internal user or an external user?

• Internal User

Please let me know if you need more other details that can help. Thanks

Regards,

Antoinne

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Antoinne,

The Limited Access permission is assigned to a user automatically by SharePoint when you give permission to the user to access a specific content item. But the user does not have permission to open or edit any other items in the library.

You cannot assign this permission level to users or SharePoint groups. Instead, Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 automatically assigns this permission level to users and SharePoint groups when you grant them access to an object on your site that requires that they have access to a higher level object on which they do not have permissions. For example, if you grant users access to an item in a list and they do not have access to the list itself, Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 automatically grants them Limited Access on the list, and also the site, if needed.

Regards,
Jerry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Then it doesn't work. I have items never shared with individual users that show limited access.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hi jerry,

thanks for the information about the limited access, however in my case please see below scenario.

sharepoint user

• antoinne   = site collection admin
  • sp.user     = internal user and assigned as a site owner
  • sp.user1   = internal user and do not have permission on the site.

procedures that i did.

1. antoinne created a new sub site "testsubsite".

2. antoinne assigned sp.user to sharepoint group "owners" with full control permission.

we all know that upon creating the new sub site there are default sharepoint groups.

• visitors      - read
  • members  - contribute or edit, depending on the site template
  • owners    - full control

3. antoinne uploaded excel file to the document library.

4. antoinne review sp.user permission.

• go to the site settings - site permission then check permission.
  • the result is sp.user have a "full control" permission.

5. sp.user1 trying to access the site "testsubsite" but unfortunately he does not have permission to access the site. so he send a request to access the site. 

6. after sp.user1 sending the request to access the site. antoinne review again the permission of sp.user and upon checking the permission the result is,

now, i am wondering why does the limited access appear since sp.user1 is just sending request to access the site and also antoinne did not yet accept or decline the request. after sp.user1 sending the request to access the site the limited access appeared on the permission.

hope that you can replicate my issue, please let me know if you need more other details that can help. thanks

regards,

antoinne

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Antoinne and Mchv2.0,

With the detailed steps you provided, I can reproduce this behavior in my default team site xxxx.sharepoint.com.

I will check this with the related team, once there is any update, I will let you know.

Regards,

James

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please provide a complete explanation of what limited access means and why it occurs. nothing I've read so far is accurate.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi James,

Hopefully we can get an answer soon. Thanks

Regards,

-Antoinne

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 15, 2021 Views 12,364 Applies to: