SharePoint Calendar: how to make it view-only or track the history?

Dear all,

I have created a Calendar in SharePoint associated with a Team in MS Team. I couldn't find way to allow only certain Team members to edit (and the rest can only view), or to track which Team member has edited the calendar. Could anyone tell me if there are settings for these requests?

Thanks so much!

Answer
Answer

Hi Nick,

From the description provided, we understand you are looking to edit the permissions for the Calendar so that only specific users in the team can only edit and rest of the users will view the events added to the calendar. If my understanding is correct, I would like to know whether you’re using the Calendar in the SharePoint Online (Site Contents> New> App> Calendar List) or Office 365 Group Calendar (which was created when you create either Microsoft Teams or SharePoint site)?

If you are using the Office 365 Group calendar, all the members of the Office 365 Group can edit the calendar and there is no setting to prevent specific users to edit the calendar. But good news the related developing team as added this idea into their plan but there is no ETA when this feature will be come, you can add your vote: Calendar permissions in Office 365 UserVoice as it draws the attention of related team.

If you are using the Calendar created in SharePoint Online site, yes you can achieve your requirement. But, first we would like to convey that the users with Read permission will not be able to edit or add the events in the Calendar. Only the members who are having the edit permission will be able to add/edit the events in the Calendar.

So, if you don’t want all the users who are having the edit permission in the SharePoint site to edit/add the events in the Calendar, you need to Stop Inheriting Permissions for the Calendar.

Open the Calendar> Click on Calendar in the Ribbon> List Settings> Permission for this list> Stop Inheriting Permissions.

After, you need to remove the Site Members permission: Select the Site Members> Remove User Permissions.

Now, we need to grant the permissions to the users based on our requirement. Grant Permissions> Enter the users email address> Shows Options> Edit> Share.

By this way, only the Site Owners, users with edit permission can add/edit the events in the Calendar created in SharePoint Online site.

Appreciate your understanding and stay safe 😊

Best Regards,

Chitrahaas

-----------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* Once complete conversation about this topic, kindly Mark and Vote any replies to benefit others reading this thread.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 6, 2024 Views 6,477 Applies to: