Setting up BT email account on Outlook with numerous problems that drive me bonkers!!!!

Can anyone help me?

I have been using BT email on Outlook 365 for a number of years, and a couple of weeks ago I started getting that annoying pop up saying enter password. When you do so it comes back a few seconds later, so you check your password is correct and do it again, and again and again! 

I gave up and decided to remove my account and start again to see if that would fix it. Not only did I have trouble setting it up, but it seemed that no matter what port settings for outgoing and receiving, or SSL or not nothing would work. I checked the BT website for the settings, which I found hard to find by the way, and when I eventually did it still did not work.

I checked other websites until finally someone gave out the setting that worked. The trouble was that now I had 2 btinternet accounts with one of them ending (1).

So I left it at that and just copied the mails into my original email and deleted from the (1) account.

Now I get that same annoying enter password box again and I'm getting so fed up with it all. I even thought of setting up another account but I'd only have the same trouble. 

I found out that the right settings that work are incoming POP Port 993 with SSL/TLS and outgoing SMTP Port 465 and SSL/TLS. I managed to get this to work, but now again, no emails and that annoying message asking for account and password is popping up again.

So I now have a question or two:

1. How do I set up my original account to work, the one without the (1).

2. How do I stop those stupid password messages popping up every few months that drive everyone mad?

3. Can anyone restore my sanity.... please?

Thank you

Is this a BT Yahoo mail account?

Does the sam email account work ok in the win10 mail app?

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Peergint,

Greetings.

To be honest, we typically recommend you set up your BT email with IMAP protocol instead of POP3. POP3 is a protocol for receiving email by downloading it to your computer from a mailbox on the server of an Internet service provider, and emails are stored on a single device, sent messages are stored on a single device, emails can only be accessed from a single device. For POP3, if you want to keep messages on the server, make sure the setting "Keep email on server" is enabled or all messages are deleted from the server once downloaded to the app or software. Moreover, receiving mail using POP3 protocol is slow. Reference for you: What are the settings for outgoing and incoming BT Email servers? | BT Help

For your problem, I suggest you try to create a new outlook profile to check the results(Do not delete the previous profile in case), new profile will configure your account, data files and all kind of settings again, here is the reference: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-an-Outlook-profile-F544C1BA-3352-4B3B-BE0B-8D42A540459D

Thanks,

Linda

-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes it's a BT account but not Yahoo.

Haven't tried the Win10 mail app.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Linda,

Many thanks for your reply.

I actually meant to say IMAP not POP. I had already tried POP only to find out that I was using the wrong settings.

I tried creating a new profile using the previous profile, if that makes sense and it worked, except now I have 2 other identical email addresses on the left hand side where you can see your accounts and I cannot delete them, because they are not showing in the accounts list where you can create new, edit or remove accounts.

Also now, since I had that pop up asking me for password come up again and again tonight, I decided to shut down, but once again and this is another issue I have, where the system is shutting down but tells me a program is shutting down, and it's always Outlook and asks me if I want to wait or shutdown anyway. Now of course to add to my problems Outlook now will not open at all, no matter what I do.

I feel like it's an uphill battle just to get all this working properly. It's never any other program that gives me trouble, only Outlook!! I completely reinstalled 365 a few days ago and that's when I started having trouble again with Outlook, and after I thought I had fixed it.

The settings I'm using for Outlook for BT IMAP are:

Incoming Port 993: SSL/TLS

Outgoing Port 465: SSL/TLS

Any ideas please?

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Peergint,

Things sounds messy.

I suggest you follow the below steps one by one to see how it goes:

#1. Try to repair the Office from the Control Panel, here is the reference:https://support.office.com/en-US/Article/Repair-an-Office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c5bb88b ( Please first try Quick Repair, if issue persists, you can try Online Repair)

#2. Remove your BT addresses from Outlook client.

#3. Reset your BT email password from BT email provider: https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/i-need-to-change-or-reset-my-bt-email-password

#4. Re-add your BT email to Outlook using IMAP protocol.

Incoming Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port: 993

SSL Encryption: Enabled (but not STARTTLS)

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port: 465

SSL Encryption: Enabled (but not STARTTLS)

Thanks,

Linda

-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 18, 2024 Views 8,551 Applies to: