Serious bug in Microsoft Visio (Professional 2021)

I have created a project using Microsoft Visio's Piping and Instrumentation Diagram template. I have a project with many items and different "Tags".

The problem is simple: the tags don't get numbered/renumbered correctly. I place an item, it gets auto-tagged "E-1". Place another, it gets auto-tagged "E-2". I delete both and place a third. It gets auto-tagged "E-3". The counter is never reset. The "Renumber" button doesn't fix this. There is no way to change this.

Auto-numbering components is perhaps the most important automation feature of any P&ID software. Absolutely need this to be fixed in order to use the Piping and Instrumentation Diagram template to produce any Piping and Instrumentation Diagram! I'd change the responsible code myself if I knew where to find it. I have tried.

Please advise. Regards.

(Someone has raised this issue before: link)

|

Renumbering is working correctly for me in Visio Plan 2, which is essentially a superset of Visio Professional that you have. I'm not aware of any differences in the P&ID template between those two versions, but let me know what you see that's different from this:

I dropped three shapes:

deleted them and dropped two more

Then, on the PROCESS ENGINEERING tab I selected Renumber

and in the renumber dialog I made my choices and clicked OK. (note that you need to indicate which equipment type(s) should be renumbered)

with this result

I know that's what you were expecting but didn't happen. Do you see anything different on your Process Engineering tab or in the renumbering dialog?

Scott Helmers // Scott@VisioStepByStep.com
author of "Visio 2016 Step by Step" & Visio courses at LinkedIn Learning https://bit.ly/LILAuthor

If my reply is helpful, please mark it as the answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Interesting. I can recreate your success in a simple file, but not in my more complicated file with custom tags. My conveyors, tagged "CV-x" don't number correctly. It seems CV-1 is always there, but then it starts from CV-6. Deleting CV-1 and adding a new conveyor results in it being tagged C-1. Deleting, say, CV-7, results in it being tagged the next largest number. Bizarre.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Alright, I have tried copy and pasting my design into a new sheet again, and this sparked a eureka moment: a pop-up prompts you to reference/hyperlink the pasted shapes to their source. Clicked "cancel" here and now renumbering is working correctly. Thrilled. Hope I haven't spoken too soon.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm glad you found a way to restore the renumbering! Keeping my fingers crossed that it continues to work.

Scott Helmers // Scott@VisioStepByStep.com
author of "Visio 2016 Step by Step" & Visio courses at LinkedIn Learning https://bit.ly/LILAuthor

If my reply is helpful, please mark it as the answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 3, 2024 Views 39 Applies to: