Second-Stage Recycle Bin in One Drive for Business

My question is simple.  If a One drive for business user deletes files from their first stage recycle bin, shouldn't those files then show up in the second-stage recycle bin that the Site Collection Admin has access too? 

If the answer is yes. Why would this not be happening within my One Drive for business instance.

I am worried about employees deleting files and the company losing data.

Thanks

Answer
Answer

Hi Eric,

Lou is right. We need to find other users deleted files in the Recycle Bin which is underneath their My Sites.

As the Global admin, we can first, as Lou mentioned, grant ourselves as the Site collection admins of the other user's My Site to access the Recycle. Please refer to Get access to the data of the former employee section at How to block employee access to Office 365 data.

In addition, please consider enabling Preservation policies on each of the My Site, to make the contents can be preserved.

1. Go to Office 365 admin center > under ADMIN tab, Compliance > at Compliance Center, Retention > under Preserve, click +.

2. Enter a name and description > Next > tick SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business sites > Next > click + to add user's My site URL as,

https://organization-my.sharepoint.com/personal/user_organization_onmicrosoft_com

3. Next to OK to save the configuration.

4. Wait for the policy to be turned On.

With the policy and the global admin being the Site collection admins of the user's My Site, after the user delete a file from his OneDrive for Business library, the file will be saved as a copy in a Preservation Hold Library, which is at,

https://organization-my.sharepoint.com/personal/user_organization_onmicrosoft_com/PreservationHoldLibrary/Forms/AllItems.aspx

Best Regards,
Rene

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 17, 2020 Views 13,530 Applies to: