Scheduled Delivery of Emails in O365

How do I schedule the delivery of an email in O365 without having to leave the Outlook Client running?  For example, I need to schedule a reminder email to be delivered after I am on vacation and will not be leaving my computer on, nor turning it on, for the Outlook Client to be running so that the delivery can happen from the Outlook Client.  How does the schedule get pushed back up to the O365 email server to execute at the right time?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This forum is for Outlook.com, the free web-based mail service. Office 365 is covered in another forum.

If you are connecting to your mailbox with an Exchange account, the Exchange server can send the message without the client running. However, if you are using SMTP for the outgoing messages (that is, you are using a POP or IMAP account), you must leave the client running because the SMTP protocol has no way to communicate delayed sending to the server. It's just not included in the protocol.
Brian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Ken,
Are you using an Office 365 business mailbox? (Or on-prem exchange server)

If you use Office 365 business mailbox, set up the account in online mode and set a deferred delivery time and send it. It will be held in the Exchange submission queue until it's time to send.
Diane Poremsky [Outlook MVP]
Outlook Resources: https://www.slipstick.com
https://www.outlook-tips.net

** I don't work for Microsoft.**
** DO NOT CALL phone numbers received in email notifications.**

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi (KenR),

I'm Tyler, an independent advisor trying to help.

Thankfully, Outlook allows you to specify exactly when you would like your email to be sent. For that, follow the steps.

To start, compose the message. {This can be either creating a new message, replying to a message, or forwarding a message.} and go to the Options tab.

In the More Options group, you have to select Delay Delivery.

Now, In the Properties dialog box, select the Do not deliver before check box.

In there, you have to choose the date and time when you want to send the message. When finished, select Close.

In the message window, select Send.

This puts your message in the Outbox until the time you specified arrives, and then it is sent.

I hope this helps you.

Best Regards,
Tyler.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the clarification.  I am not using a local Exchange server and it is not practical to leave the client machine with outlook client running.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the recommendation.  Just to clarify, are you describing setting the Outlook client to live/online mode, rather than caching mode (uncheck "Use Cached Exchange Mode) in order to get scheduled messages to queue in the cloud instead of the Outlook client?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the recommendation.  However, in my experience, and according to others, this method requires that the Outlook Client be left running in order for the message to be delivered at the correct time.  As stated, I need to be able to turn off the client machine and thus the Outlook client, but still get the scheduled message delivery.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes. You only need to turn off cached mode long enough to prepare and send the message (since it can be slow and unresponsive).
Diane Poremsky [Outlook MVP]
Outlook Resources: https://www.slipstick.com
https://www.outlook-tips.net

** I don't work for Microsoft.**
** DO NOT CALL phone numbers received in email notifications.**

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi again.

I found an article that answered what you are asking for. Basically, the cached mode needs to be disabled in order for it to be saved on the servers.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj6...

Source > https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2101224-...

I hope this helps you.

Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello (KenR),

Do you have any updates on this issue? Please feel free to contact me in case you need any assistance.

Best Regards,

Anna

-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Anna Ma,

Thank you for checking on me.  I have been provided with a way to solve my problem by a couple of the commenters (Thanks again, all), but I find the solution less than desirable or even practical.  If I recall correctly, it is not recommended to run the Outlook client in live mode, owing to performance issues.  The recommended solution is to switch from cached mode to live mode while setting up a delayed delivery email, and once the message is scheduled, switch back to cached mode.  If I recall correctly, switching from cached mode to live mode requires a restart of the client, as does switching from live mode to cached mode - thus two client restarts in order to send the scheduled message without relying on the client machine to be running with the Outlook client running.  There must be a better way, as this is cumbersome for even occasional use, much less routine or regular use.  Seems like a need for an enhancement - if nothing else, perhaps the ability to use the  Send/Receive function to push the schedule from the client to he cloud/servers.

Ken

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 4, 2021 Views 1,278 Applies to: