Running Outlook on the iMac causes the screen to flicker and eventually black out and reduce to half/split screen display.

Running Outlook on the iMac causes the screen to flicker and eventually black out and reduce to half/split screen display.

If I don't run the Outlook app the Mac runs like clockwork.

With Outlook active, at some point the flickering begins and then gets progressively worse until the screen is completed fuzzed or it pops back to a half black screen (which continues to flicker intermittently - more often than not)

Whilst it sounds like a hardware issue (and I've ordered a new Mac thinking it was!) it appears to be tied to Outlook.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB

Mac OS 10.14.1 (18B75)

Outlook 16.19

Rebooting seems to clear it until we run Outlook again, then the cycle continues.

Question Info

Last updated April 7, 2020 Views 4,704 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi AussieFlem,

From your description, the issue only happens when Outlook for Mac client is opened. While from my test in the lab, I cannot reproduce this issue with the same Outlook client version and Mac OS version. So as you mentioned, the issue could be a hardware issue and running Outlook client could be a trigger.

Of course, you can try to download Outlook Reset Preference tool to reset the customization in Outlook > Preference and check if it helps. Meanwhile, it's a good idea to update to Office Insider version to verify if the issue still happens in version 16.20. If so, it would be better to change your iMac.

Regards,

Marvin

-------------------------------------------------
If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi AussieFlem,

If you have any progress on this issue, just let me know at your earliest convenience.

Regards,

Marvin

If you feel a reply works for you, please kindly vote or mark it as it will be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Sorry this didn't help.

If I don't run the Outlook app the Mac runs like clockwork.

With Outlook active, at some point the flickering begins and then gets progressively worse until the screen is completed fuzzed or it pops back to a half black screen (which continues to flicker intermittently - more often than not)

Whilst it sounds like a hardware issue (and I've ordered a new Mac thinking it was!) it appears to be tied to Outlook.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB

Mac OS 10.14.1 (18B75)

Outlook 16.19

Rebooting seems to clear it until we run Outlook again, then the cycle continues.

Hi AussieFlem,

Can you please confirm if you have resolved this issue as we are experiencing exactly the same issue. We have taken the iMac to Apple and had the logic board replaced but still have this problem. Like you, we have narrowed this down to Outlook causing the problem and none of the updates have fixed it. This issue definitely started after an Office update a while back. I have also completely wiped the drive and reinstalled everything from scratch (not a restore) so the issue would appear to be with Outlook and not hardware or preferences.

Please do update as I don't know what else to try!

Thanks, Luke.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Luke.

Not resolved - I've replaced the suspect machine.

New iMac is not having the same issue.

Original problem unit I've narrowed down the problem - seems to be OK with Outlook and office, it's Skype for Business that seems to be the trigger (possibly in conjunction with Outlook).

If I run Outlook I'm generally OK.

If I run Skype as well, I get the same issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi AussieFlem,

This is very helpful and I think you're right, although we don't have Skype for Business, we just run normal Skype. However, the iMac was fine until I was asked to reinstall Skype, then within 30 minutes the issue returned so the problem is clearly there.

Would be nice if Microsoft accepted responsibility for this rather than trying to blame hardware or macOS as this issue clearly appeared after an update around October time.

Lets see if they fix it or advise us to get a new iMac as previously suggest!

Thanks, Luke.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Luke,

Since regular Skype is a completely different product from Skype for Business, if you have the similar issue when running regular Skype, we recommend you post a new thread under Skype category. The relevant team will provide the dedicated suggestions for you. Your time and understanding will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Marvin

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Luke,

Since regular Skype is a completely different product from Skype for Business, if you have the similar issue when running regular Skype, we recommend you post a new thread under Skype category. The relevant team will provide the dedicated suggestions for you. Your time and understanding will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Marvin

Hi Marvin,

Whilst I appreciated the response, I do seem to be getting the run-around by you guys. I'm being told to post in Outlook forums, in Skype forums etc. It's not down to me to find where the issue is and then post in the correct place, it's up to you to support a paying customer and advise me where the issue is and how to resolve it.

I'm not the only person experiencing this issue and from what I can see it's not been resolved.

There is clearly an issue with Microsoft Office and macOS Mojave. The issue did start after an Office 365 update and not after an macOS Mojave update so that points towards Office 365 being the issue.

Can't someone look into this rather than giving me the round-around and telling me post else-where.

Many thanks, Luke.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Luke,

Thank you for your update. I totally understand the inconvenience it brought to you. However, as you know, there're many products provided by Microsoft. And to serve our customers more efficiently, we have different support teams to handle the specific types of issues in our forum. Since you have mentioned you don't use Skype for Business, and the issue occurred after you reinstall normal Skype, the issue could be related with Skype app. Of course, if you do use Office 365 products and you have concerns on Office apps, you can also post a new thread in our forum. Our engineers will help you do the further investigation. We kindly appreciate for your understanding.

Regards,

Marvin

Sorry this didn't help.

I have exactly the same issue. Already tried restart, reset SMC, even did a clean install of OSX. But everytime i open Outlook and start scrolling  through the mais, the screen flickering appears. If i don't use Outlook, the system runs fine. On my system it's not related to Skype. It's just scrolling through the mails, that causes it. I also have the iMac late 2015

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm still getting it running Outlook, seems to happen faster with Skype open.

Really seems to be tied to Outlook with that model of iMac, and the "get a new iMac" response from MS above is pretty average - unless of course you're happy to pay for the replacement units @Marvin?

Sorry this didn't help.