rundll32.exe locking Outlook

Hello,

Every morning, when I turn on Outlook, I get a message telling me: "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The file name.of.my.account.pst is in use and cannot be accessed. Close any application that is using this file and then try again"

It is rundll32.exe which is using it. 

Every morning, I have to go into Resource Monitor to find it and manually stop rundll32.exe before I can use Outlook.

How can I stop rundll32.exe to lock Outlook every time I start my computer?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards,

Cyril

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Cyril,

The rundll32.exe file is usually used to launch functionality stored in shared Dynamic-link library files or DLL. The file should not affect how your apps works and normally shouldn’t be a threat. However, this file is also commonly used by spyware to launch its own malicious code.

To provide an accurate solution, kindly answer the following questions:

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you run your anti-virus software. We also advice running the System File Checker tool. This is a utility that allows users to scan for corruptions in the Windows system and restore corrupted files. The link contains further information about how to run the System File Checker tool.  

To notify us and have us get back to you, simply reply to this post.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello, Darleen,

Yes, the rundll32.exe shouldn't be a problem, and what is weird is that it is only when I turn the computer on (usually in the morning) that it happens.

After I force-stop the file, then, there is no problem. I can start and shut down Outlook as many time as I wish, nothing happens. It's only at the first start of the day.

Which build and versionof Windows is installed on your computer?

I have Windows 10 Pro - Version 1809

Which build and version of Outlook is installed on your computer?

I have Microsoft Outlook for Office 365 MSO (16.0.1132820156) 32 bits

What changes were made to your device before this issue occurred?

None that I can think of. I've installed, used and uninstalled a program to move and "translate" my mails from Thunderbird to Outlook and that's it. 

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you run your anti-virus software. 

I ran AVG. It found nothing.

> We also advice running the System File Checker tool.

I just did and it came back with the message: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Regards,

Cyril

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate your detailed response. For further troubleshooting, it will be best to repair your Outlook app. If the same issue persists, uninstall then reinstall your Office applications. Once done, restart your computer.

If you'll encounter the same error after performing the troubleshooting provided above, create a new user profile and then install Office apps. If you'll encounter the same issue, it means that the Windows system file is the one that is really causing the error. 

Please respond to this thread to let us know how the issue progresses.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, Darleen,

Before I go on with uninstall and make new user profile: What about all my mails and archive? Will they be deleted or lost in any way?

Regards,

Cyril

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Cyril,

Making new user profile won't delete your email and archive. However, there's a possibility that your emails and archive will be lost once you uninstall your Office application that's why we are suggesting to Back up your email first before uninstalling your Office application.

Once done with the suggested troubleshooting let us know how the issue will progress so that we can further assist you.

To notify us and have us get back to you, simply reply to this post.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, Jenicel,

Until now, I have tried  to repair my Outlook app (twice: Once with the little program, the second time through the net), I  uninstalled then reinstalled my Office applications according to the indication in Darleen's mail. But it didn't change anything.

Now, if I create a new user profile and it works... What then? Will I have to move all my applications (Skype, games, graphic programs, etc.?)

Regards,

Cyril

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If the issue did not occur on the new user profile, it means that there are some system corruption on your old user profile. If you'll use the new user profile, you do not need to reinstall your applications because all of your apps will be readily available on the new user profile. 

If you have additional questions, please let us know by replying to this thread.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again,

Well, making a new personality (using the same .pst file) didn't help. Same problem.

Regards,

Cyril

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again, Darleen,

Just to make sure: I deleted the account and the mails, made a new account and got the same problem. I only have this problem with this one account (I have several e-mail accounts, the other work fine).

Regards,

Cyril

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate the additional information that you've provided. We coordinated with our Internal support team to get your issue addressed as soon as possible. Since we exhausted the available troubleshooting steps here on our end, our Internal support team advise for you to reach out with our Microsoft Chat support team. They can provide further help to successfully resolve this issue.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 2,884 Applies to: