Rules for moving emails sent to/CC/BCC specific email address

I have a custom domain email (myaddress(at)domain.com) forwarded to my Outlook.com account for which I wanted to create a rule that separates emails where that e-mail address is in the To field from other in the CC field. I am using Outlook from Office365 Home on my Mac to access this Outlook.com account (via EAS connection), but I checked the rules via the web UI and it's similar. 

Outlook rules have this concept of "me" that I can't quite get; I don't know if it based on my actual name (as defined where?), my Outlook.com email or something different, so I can't relate this to what I'm looking for.

In essence:

- Main Outlook.com account is something(at)live.com

- E-mail myaddress(at)domain.com is being forwarded to something(at)live.com

- Create rule to Move e-mail sent to myaddress(at)domain.com to folder A

- Create rule to Move e-mail CC'd to myaddress(at)domain.com to folder B

- Create rule to Move e-mail BCC'd to myaddress(at)domain.com to folder C

I have tried many different combinations but no working way of doing this reliably. BCC is not that important, but differentiating between mail sent directly to me or CC'd is. Can anyone comment on how to make this possible?

Regads

Question Info

Last updated January 17, 2020 Views 1,585 Applies to:
"to me' should be to your name, but i haven't tested outlook.com rules enough to be sure. I'm going by my knowledge of Outlook windows desktop rules, which use the display name for this condition.

Outlook.com has limited rule options - CC option is going to be difficult and forwarding or redirecting mail makes it more difficult.

Are the original message headers intact or are the messages truly forwarded (as if you hit forward in a mail client)

Have you looked at the message headers for mail you know was sent to, cc, and bcc;d to your custom address? If the original headers are intact, using the To condition with the custom address should work. CC might work in the client (I'll need to boot my mac to check the options -

The BCC rule will be all mail sent to the account (that is not previously moved) as BCC is not in the message. This will get all mail where you are not in the To field, including mail sent to mailing lists. Outlook.com doesn't have 'account' rules, so try message header includes.
Diane Poremsky [Outlook MVP]
Outlook Resources: https://www.slipstick.com
https://www.outlook-tips.net

** I don't work for Microsoft.**
** DO NOT CALL phone numbers received in email notifications.**

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your reply.

Ok, that's what I though about "to me" - that's why I need the rules to consider the e-mail instead of the name. If not, it will conflict with the main Outlook.com e-mails, as the name will be the same in both. 

The messages have its original headers, as they're forwarded by the mail server. I've been looking through those to see if anything can help. One thing that it can definitely help is this line below, with which I can filter the email that is being forwarded:

X-Authenticated-Sender: custommail.domain.com: myaddress(at)domain.com

Now for the "To/CC" part, that's not easy to implement with headers filtering, mainly because there can be multiple addresses in either the To or CC fields. I don't think Outlook rules allow wildcards, so that's probably not possible to do. 

As for local Rules, I don't think Outlook for Mac allows that. It always shows EAS server rules. 

BCC I knew it would be tricky, but it isn't very important.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

>>
Now for the "To/CC" part, that's not easy to implement with headers filtering, mainly because there can be multiple addresses in either the To or CC fields. I don't think Outlook rules allow wildcards, so that's probably not possible
to do.
>>
Exactly. Finding the address in the To line in the header will be hard. (Windows Outlook could do it using a script, but that is not supported in Mac version.and it only works when outlook is running.)

Under normal circumstances, BCC is actually easy - sent to account but not in to or cc field.
Diane Poremsky [Outlook MVP]
Outlook Resources: https://www.slipstick.com
https://www.outlook-tips.net

** I don't work for Microsoft.**
** DO NOT CALL phone numbers received in email notifications.**

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the insight. It's something that Outlook.com  could allow some more granular control. 

Sorry this didn't help.