return address on mail merge labels

I need to print address labels for a mailing and want to print my business's return address on the same label as my recipient's address.

I have a spreadsheet I'm using as the recipient list. I found a thread that I couldn't respond to (too old?), but the answer didn't help me or apparently the folks that replied either. In any event, how do you do this? I am using a 2x4 label where I want my return address and logo, then the recipients address.  I can create the plain mail merge labels easily, but I can't get my return address to print on them all. When I follow the instructions in the aforementioned thread, I get only one label per page, multiple pages. If I use the mail merge wizard, it fills the page with the different recips (what I want, which is 10 labels/sheet), but I can't get a return address on there. We are small business people who are reasonably computer savvy and want to look professional on the relatively rare occasions that we're doing this, but end up killing WAY too much time trying to get it done. Please lay out step-by-step instructions for doing this. I have been at this job now for almost an hour, and I could have entered the data manually and been done by now.

My alternative is to print 2 sets of labels. One with my return address and one with the mail merge labels, but that defeats the purpose. Please help!

One quick way to do it is run the sheet through twice. Once with the mailing address and then a second time with the return address in the open area of the labels.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

While that's a workaround (and sincere thanks for trying to help), it defeats the purpose. As I said, I could hand-type the suckers and be have been done awhile ago. A suite of programs as powerful as Office 365 SHOULD enable me to do this simply and easily, even if I only do this once or twice a year.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You cannot use MS Word for this. You will need to use MS Publisher where you can mail merge your data and it will print 1 address per sheet. You will need to set up your label with your return address as static on the label and include the recipient addresses as mail merge fields, the you can print 1 recipient address per sheet

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes you can. I managed to do that in the time between my original post and this one. But your response speaks to my point; with a program as powerful as MS Word, why would one user (you) think it couldn't be done and another user (me) have so much stinking trouble with what should be easy?

I had to use the wizard to get it done. When I went back to redo it so that I could outline the steps for anyone wanting to replicate it, I could not. I believe the trick was setting up my static info (logo and my business address) BEFORE I did any mail-merging. The other trick is instead of selecting "Address Block", which worked fine for my Publisher letter BTW, I had to build the address block myself from the components. So I selected "first name" then space "last name", and so forth. Again, needlessly complicated, and I can't replicate it outside the wizard. Grrrr. Now 2 hours of my life I'll not get back.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

You are right. This can be done, but it is not simple.

You need to prepare a primary merge document with a sheet of labels and insert your Return address in each label in a separate location (likely a frame) from the merged address.

Labels in Word are a variation of a Word table.

Here is a site that should help you.
http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm

You would essentially be placing your return address in the same way the graphic is being placed.
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Instead of a watermark as AutoText, you could save your return address as AutoText.
Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

BTW, the address block is the source of many problems. Most experienced users use individual fields, AFAIK.

http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/mailmerge.htm

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, I think I have it figured out. You MUST use the Wizard, and there are a couple of tricks.

1. Open a blank document, then select  Mailings > Start Mail Merge > Step-by-Step Mail Merge Wizard...
  2. You're now on Step 1 of 6 in the Wizard. Select the document type. I selected "Labels." Then click "Next: Starting document" at the bottom of the window.
  3. In Step 2 of 6, you get to determine the layout. For my labels, I had "label options..." as a choice. I clicked it and selected "8163 Shipping Labels" for my use. After that, click "Next: Select Recipients"
  4. Before I did anything in this new window, I laid out my return address how I wanted it. I added my logo, sized it down, made the text wrap around it, and then I added my business name & address. I also changed the spacing so it wasn't adding a space before each return (indicating a new paragraph in Word).  After my return address looked right, I hit return a couple of more lines, then hit the "increase indent" tool, so that when I build the address block, it'll be more centered on the label instead of aligned left.
  5. After my return address was built, then and only then did I start the recipient selection in the mail merge wizard (step 3 of 6). I clicked "use an existing list" browsed my way to a spreadsheet I had already. Then I filtered my results as I wanted. Alternately, you can use the check box to select recipients.
  6. Once that's done, click "Next: Arrange your labels"
  7. I selected "address block." but for some reason it didn't pull the state into the address, so instead I had to use "more items" and build my own address block one by one. After you have all the items in place with the appropriate spacing, commas between the city & state, etc., you can highlight the entire block you built and change the font, size, etc. to your liking.
  8. Then click the box reading "Update all labels" This seems to be the piece missing if you don't use the wizard and try to do it on your own, which led to me pulling my hair out. Your welcome. ;-)
  9. Once that's done, click "Next: Preview your labels"
  10. Now, cross your fingers, legs, eyes, and anything else you have and click "Next: Complete the merge"
  11. Ta, da!
  12. Offer your profuse thanks because I hammered through it and saved you the agony.

53 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 4,672 Applies to: