Repeating tasks' reminders change on their own

I created a list of tasks that repeat weekly, semi-monthly, quarterly, and annually, and I have set up reminders for these repeating tasks to alert me one day or week before the task is due. 

When I check the box to indicate that the task is completed, it does create a new task at the appropriate interval, however, the reminder for the new task is always created to occur after the new task's due date.

For example, a weekly recurring task is due on Friday, with a reminder on Thursday. On Thursday, reminder pops up; on Friday, task is completed and box is checked to indicate that. A new weekly recurring task is automatically created (correctly) for the following Friday, but the new reminder is automatically created for the Friday after that, not the Thursday before (one week after the original reminder).

When I manually change the reminder to the Thursday before, as it should have been from the start, the next time I look at the tasks and reminders, the reminder has reverted to the Friday after the new task is due.

What is going on and how do I fix it?

Question Info

Last updated May 20, 2020 Views 1,116 Applies to:
This question seems more about Office Outlook for Windows and not about Outlook.com, the web-based mail service.
Brian

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This question seems more about Office Outlook for Windows and not about Outlook.com, the web-based mail service.

It's about Outlook for Mac and Office 365. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I see you moved it. Thanks. Putting it in the correct forum is the best way to get it in front of the people most able to respond.
Brian

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Susan,

To better understand the situation, could you provide some screenshots about the whole process and how you set the weekly recurring task? We will then check on our side.

And, I’d like to confirm the detailed version of Outlook for Mac you are using. (Open Outlook>click Outlook in the taskbar>About Outlook).

Regards,

Monique

Sorry this didn't help.

I am using Microsoft® Outlook for Mac Version 15.31 (170216) as part of an Office 365 Subscription.

To create a new task, I click on the Tasks icon in the bottom left corner of the Outlook window, then click on New Task. I name the task:

I set the due date:

I set the reminder date and time:

I click on Recurrence and set the schedule:

I click OK and everything looks good:

I click Save & Close and it appears in my list of Tasks, as it should. When the Task is completed, I double-click on the task in the list and check the box next to the name to mark it complete:

A new Task is then created, with the proper Due date and Reminder, as it should:

Time passes. I complete the new Task, check the box, click Save & Close; a new Task is created properly with the proper reminder:

Then, before I even close this new Task, this happens:

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Susan,

Thanks for the details. We have noticed the issue. About this issue, we may need some time to consult our related team. We will post back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Monique

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your patience. It’s a known issue and our related team is working on it. When there is any update, we will post here to let you know.

Regards,

Monique

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.