Removing Headers at the Beginning of Each Section in Word

Hi,
I am beyond frustrated right now with Word. I am working on a book that has 75 chapters. Each chapter has a header at the top of the title page and a header on each subsequent page. I want to remove the header ONLY from the title pages. I have tried everything that every forum suggests. I have watched countless videos. I have deselected "Link to Previous Section", I have made sure "Different First Page" wasn't selected. I have made sure each chapter is its own section. I have clicked the end of each chapter and then inserted a "Next Page" section break. That does remove it from the title page of each chapter but then later on down the document it will screw up another header.

No matter what I do, when I remove the header from the first page of each chapter, it affects every header after that through the whole document. I have exhausted every option. I have become so frustrated with Word that after months and months of writing, I am ready to just throw in the towel and call it quits. The book is done but the headers will not delete and I have just about had it. Please can someone help me with this. I don't know what else to do. 

Thank you

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Start each section with a Next Page Section Break and set the headers (and footers) for each section to have a Different First Page.

This setting will display a different (and currently blank) header and footer on the first page of the section.

Headers and Footers can seem complicated when you reach this level. Here is my recap of the settings: Header/Footer Settings Recap

If you want the footers to the be same for every page including your title pages, you will need to copy the content from the main footer to the first-page footer, deleting a paragraph mark at the end. If it is just the page number, you can add a page number directly to that footer using Alt+Shift+P.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 31, 2024 Views 1,538 Applies to: