Remote mailbox attribute

Hi,

In technet, regarding New-Remotemailbox cmdlet (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607480(v=exchg.160).aspx)

There is a statement: The New-RemoteMailbox cmdlet creates an on-premises mail user. The mail user contains a specific attribute, which indicates that an associated mailbox in the service should be created when the user is synchronized to the service using directory synchronization.

What is that attribute. Can somebody explain that? Is that ImmutableId?

hi routineuser,

the attribute is "msexchremoterecipienttype".

when running new-remotemailbox cmdlet from on-premises server, it will create a mail-enabled user (meu) with msexchremoterecipienttype of 1 in the on-premises environment and associate the meu with a mailbox in office 365. "1" represents a provisioned mailbox in exchange online.

thanks,
edward

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Edward Qu, thanks for your answer.

I need clarification on below:

To create a remote mail box:

Create a AD user and then we should run Enable-RemoteMailbox cmdlet, which after dirsync creates a mail box in O365 and then we should log in to portal to assign it a license.

I want to do it programatically only once. Can i do it like:

First create a on premise user and take its Guid and create a O365 user with its Immutable id set to that guid and assign a exchange online license. Then run Enable-RemoteMailbox cmdlet for the AD User. So that, after dirsync the O365 user mailbox will be a remote mail box for the on premise user right?

[Why i am saying i like above is because, i dont want to wait for dirsync to complete to assign a license to the O365 remote mailbox. I just want to complete in one step.] Kindly guide me. Thank you very much.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RoutineUser,

If you create an AD user without an on-premises mailbox, you should run Set-RemoteMailbox cmdlet. If the user is created from on-premises, but its mailbox is provisioned in Exchange Online, then you need to run enable-remotemailbox.

By saying " i dont want to wait for dirsync to complete to assign a license to the O365 remote mailbox.", do you mean that you want to create an Office 365 user and assign an Exchange Online license to this user, then run DirSync? If so, please follow the steps below:
1. Create a user in Office 365 > Assign an Exchange Online license > Create a user in the local AD and match an on-premises user account to an Office 365 user account using SMTP address > Force DirSync > Enable-RemoteMailbox.
Or
2. Create a user in the local AD  >Create a user in Office 365 > Assign an Exchange Online license >match an on-premises user account to an Office 365 user account using ImmutableID > Force DirSync > Enable-RemoteMailbox.

Thanks,
Edward

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Edward Qu,

In the second method you mentioned, can i interchange "Force Dirsync" and "Enable-RemoteMailbox" steps.

So it will look like:

Create a user in the local AD  >Create a user in Office 365 > Assign an Exchange Online license > match an on-premises user account to an Office 365 user account using ImmutableID > Enable-RemoteMailbox > Force DirSync

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RoutineUser,

No, you cannot. Only after running DirSync, the on-premises user will match the Office 365 user, and then you can run Enable-RemoteMailbox.

Thanks,
Edward

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Edward,

To summarize,

1) If the user mailbox is first created with an exchange online license in O365, I should first force Dirsync and then only run the Enable-RemoteMailbox cmdlet to make it a remote mailbox for the on premise user.

2) If the mailbox does not exist in O365, I should run Enable-RemoteMailbox cmdlet first and then force Dirsync and then assign a license in portal.

Kindly reply whether my both understandings are correct. Thanks a lot for all your answers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RoutineUser,

The first one is right.

The second one is correct, too.

For the second one, you should run set-remotemailbox after forcing DirSync because the user hasn't a cloud-based mailbox. This will create an online mailbox for this user in Office 365. So, in other words, you should sync the on-premises users to Office 365 via DirSync > Run set-remotemailbox > Assign an Office 365 license.

Thanks,
Edward

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Edward,

But i should run Set-Remotemailbox cmdlet only for a on premise MAIL ENABLED USER right?

If the user is non mail enabled and has no O365 associated mailbox, then i should run only Enable-Remotemailbox cmdlet right?

This link: [View:https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607313(v=exchg.160).aspx:550:50] says, Use the Enable-RemoteMailbox cmdlet to create a mailbox in the cloud-based service for an existing user in the on-premises Active Directory.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RoutineUser,

I am sorry that I provide you with wrong information. I have modified wrong information with a strikethrough line in my last post.

Yes, you are right. Whether the AD user has an Office 365 associated mailbox or not, you need run Enable-Remotemailbox. If an on-premises user has been mail enabled, you need to mail disable it and then run Enable-Remotemailbox.

The Set-Remotemailbox cmdlet is used to modify mail-related attributes of an AD user that has already been associated with an Exchange Online mailbox.

Thanks,
Edward

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RoutineUser,

Do you still need assistance?

Thanks,
Edward

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 27, 2023 Views 7,074 Applies to: