Red X instead of Image in word and excel 2016

Hi guys,

I've been unable to figure out why these images won't show up on my Macbook Air on OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 and Office 2016 version 15.40, but instead display a red X. Both of these documents (One is a Word document & the other is an Excel document) were downloaded off my my school website where us students download lecture slides/documents for our courses. 

When I go and open these files after downloading it, the images that are suppose to be there are not present. I've been able to get around this by opening opening the documents on a desktop computer and then re-saving the file to a newer format, and then sending myself the re-saved document. The documents were originally created using word & excel 97-2003. 

When I preview the documents instead of actually opening them, I can see the image there no problem, but once I open the document, I'll see the red X.

Three of my other friends who are also using a Macbook have no problems with the image not displaying. All three of them are also using Office 2016. 

I've already tried completely uninstalling Microsoft Office 2016 via their guide and reinstalling, but it still failed to display the images.

Any help would be useful, thanks.

Hi Jαскчαυ,

Please check if this article I see a red X and not my picture or clip helps. 

Meanwhile, to better use Office  version 15.40 (15.38 or higher), try updating your Mac os to high serria to see if there is any improvment.

Regards,
Sky 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The red X indicates the image was linked rather than saved within the document. However, if you do this, you are supposed to send a Copy of the image with the document.

_________

Disclaimer:

The questions, discussions, opinions, replies & answers I create, are solely mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon my position as a Community Moderator.

If my reply has helped, mark accordingly - Helpful or Answer
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sky,

I've tried those tips in that link a while back when I was attempting to fix it before posting here. 

I also forgot to mention (I've edited it into my main post now) that when I preview the document, it'll display the image, but once I go to open the document, the image is replaced with the red X.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Phillip,

If that were the case, I find it odd that my colleagues who are also on Macbooks were able to open it, one of which I even sent them the document I downloaded from my Macbook and it still worked on theirs.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jαскчαυ,

Could you list the steps of how you preview the document? Do you use the Preview app on Mac or using print feature.

Meanwhile, let me know if you can try updating your OS to high sierra to see if there is any improvement. In addition, you may uninstall and resintal your current Office app follwing this article to see if the issue can be fixed. 

Troubleshoot Office 2016 for Mac issues by completely uninstalling before you reinstall

Best Regards,

Sky 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The image is probably a PICT or EPS file. These formats are no longer supported.

You can try using File > Save As and saving the file in current Word format (.docx) instead of the old (.doc) file format.

Once saved as .docx, make a duplicate of the file in finder, and change the .docx file extension to .zip.  Use Stuffit Expander to explore the zip file's contents. You should see a media folder that has the pictures. Open them in a graphics program and convert them to jpg or png and save them elsewhere.

Now open the saved .docx file and right-click on the red X image placeholders and replace them with the correct pictures.

I am an unpaid volunteer and do not work for Microsoft. "Independent Advisors" work for contractors hired by Microsoft. "Microsoft Agents" work for Microsoft Support.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@ Sky - that must have been wild party at support on Friday. I'm suddenly seeing some pretty bizarre replies, like yours, today.
I am an unpaid volunteer and do not work for Microsoft. "Independent Advisors" work for contractors hired by Microsoft. "Microsoft Agents" work for Microsoft Support.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jαскчαυ,

Do you have any updates?

@Jim, I appreciate your response and I think your suggestion works too. However, the customer Jαскчαυ has already said in his initial post that the image works if he resaved the Excel workbook. So I didn't provide this kind of suggestion again. Also, he said the images work on his colleage's Mac. So I didn't think it is a picture format related issue. I will wait for Jαскчαυ's updates. Anyway, thanks for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Sky 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is likely the file opens ok on an Mac that does not have current updates if it contains pictures of PICT or EPS. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2021 Views 8,098 Applies to: