Red underlines on romanized words on Microsoft Word

I was doing a spell check on the Microsoft Word document set to English (United States) and found out there are more errors related to the romanization of words other than English. For example, I put special characters related to how the Romanization of Korean, Japanese, and Chinese words looked like, but it still gives them a red underline for some. This also happened when I put Taodong River (Taodong was spelled incorrectly by Word), which came from the Korean word 대동강. Other words that were correct, and have different versions of the word are "pansori" and "p'ansori," but the one with the apostrophe is marked with a red underline. Also affected was the Shanghai Hongkou District, where the district name was marked in red underlined, derived from 虹口. I know that using English (US) and set to automatically detect another language does not work on writing two languages in one paragraph, I kept getting spelling errors for words other than English with "no reference information" on some of the words provided for substitution of the spell check.

|

Using Styles for Proofing Language Settings - Microsoft Community

You can mark certain words to use a different proofing language from the base proofing language in your document.

The general advice for people having proofing language difficulties is to turn off the Automatic Detection of language. Word is just not that good at doing this.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2024 Views 17 Applies to: